Salvia discolor

• 24 Replies

John J

Salvia discolor
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:52:17 AM »
We have recently returned from an extremely enjoyable weekend in Peania (thank you, Fleur) which included time spent at Sparoza (thank you, Sally). We were able to bring back some interesting plants, cuttings and seeds. The plants all seem to have survived the trip and are looking promising. We managed to get them into the ground just in time to benefit from the first real rain of the season, 2 days of heavy downpours. I was anxious to share at least one on the forum even though it has not fully recovered from its ordeal and the photos are not particularly good.
Salvia discolor has the most amazing dark indigo, almost black flowers. The plant is in semi-shade and so the first photo is a little on the dark side but using flash, as in the second shot, washes out the colour.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
Re: Salvia discolor
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:57:04 AM »
I enjoyed the visit to Sparoza immenselyas well, and saw a lot of plants I would love to have, Salvia discolor was one of them. Unfortunately, I didn't think the cuttings I was offered would have survived the transport to Norway and the winter here, so I guess I'll have to try to find seeds. There  were other beautiful salvias there as well, the intensely blue S. guaranitica, and S. leucantha, I have to look for seeds from them as well
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:33:24 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

pamela

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »
I too, have those three salvias all of which are blooming now.  S. discolor and S. guaranitica both take root from cuttings extremely easily.  Indeed I have put thick branches of S. guaranitica in the ground and provided I keep the ground damp they just grow roots.  I have lots of cuttings of them both in my greenhouse if anyone wants some.   S.leucantha is a great salvia for the winter months and blooms profusely.  I will try and find some seeds  of them all.......
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »
Beautiful John J - thanks for posting the photos :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »
S. discolor also has a rather nice scent or black currents. We grew a large pot of it this year and it flowered right through to the frosts.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »
I will definitely try to findt seeds from all three. It is not always easy to bring the seedlings from Norway to Greece, though, but I'm sure I won't find any plants in the local nurseries.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »
What about the society seed list?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »
I checked that, none of them on the list as far as I can see.

John

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
I've just checked our plant which though frosted hasn't been killed yet but there are no seeds. Sorry.
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »
I have searched the internet, and found one company which has S. leucantha, but both  S. discolor and S. guaranitica were sold out. Maybe I'll be able to find somebody in Europe who has plants for sale next spring.

pamela

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 06:22:31 PM »
Salvia discolor is quite a rare salvia.  I have never seen it for sale either locally or on the internet.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Jill S

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »
Log into the RHS plant/supplier website. A number of UK suppliers will send plants of S.discolor to EU, with all the fun and games that entails. Haven't found any seed suppliers yet though, but there must be some.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:54:50 AM by JillS »
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »
I found a seed supplier, but they were sold out.

John J

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »
I haven't contributed to the discussion for a few days as getting WiFi from a hospital bed has proven a little tricky at times.
Anyway, the plant I took back to Cyprus from Sparoza was a rooted cutting from Sally's little nursery. As the AGM next year will be held in the Athens area maybe you could get a rooted plant to take direct to your Greek place, Jorun? It would then have the winter/spring period to settle in a litttle.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
That would be a very good solution, John, unless I find somebody selling the plant.