Flowering ground cover

• 32 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Convolvulus sabatius
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 08:04:17 AM »
I love this plant but find it burns up once the really hot weather sets in if not watered which I don't do. I do however use it in pots where it provides a lovely softening effect when trailing over the edges and of course performs well since its water requirements are met. :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:29:52 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alice

Re: Flowering ground cover
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
Your combination of Aptenia cordifolia, Myoporum parvifolium and Lippia nodiflora looks smashing, Mike. Well worth copying.
I also find Convolvulus sabatius a very attractive ground cover, Pamela. Growing in relatively shallow soil and watered once a week in summer it has spread quite a bit - to the extent that we have to crawl on all fours in search of its tap!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

JTh

• Email
Re: Flowering ground cover
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »
Has anybody tried Scorpiurus muricatus as groundcover? It’s in bloom here in Halkidiki right now, and besides having shiny, green mat-forming leaves, the tiny flowers are really stunning if you look at them closely.

I read that: ‘This is mainly a garden plant used as a groundcover. Its densely haired pods may be added to salads for interest, but are rarely eaten.’ (Wikipedia). I haven't tried that as a salad yet, maybe I will.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.