Seed Germination

• 39 Replies

westyboy

• Email
Re: Seed Germination of Senecio mandraliscae
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »
I have recently seen a number of impressive American landscape designs where they have used Senecio Mandraliscae.
So I thought I would give it a go.
I managed to get some seeds from an Australian supplier.
All germination notes on the internet seem to contradict each other.
Has anyone any experience with this plant?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:58:44 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

Alice

Re: Seed Germination
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 08:16:10 AM »
What is the best way/time of year to get Syagrus romanzoffiana (Arecastrum romanzoffianum) seeds to germinate? Any experience?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed Germination of Syagrus romanzoffiana
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:38 PM »
They say fresh seed's important, and should germinate easily in moist soil.
If your seed's not fresh, this paper on the Queen Palm (same genus and does cross with romanzoffiana) may suggest some clues:
http://wwwlib.teiep.gr/images/stories/acta/Acta%20683/683_47.pdf
Good luck!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Caroline

Re: Seed Germination of Chaemerops humilis
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 08:21:47 AM »
My mediterranean fan palm (about 12 years old but only planted out from a pot a year ago) has produced seed! Does anyone have any tips specific to growing this species from seed?  The seeds are fat, green and shiny at present - I assume once they turn red I clean and sow them.  I have grown nikau (Rhopalostylis sapida successfully from seed although I have to say it is an incredibly slow process. 

Caroline
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 01:30:34 PM »
When the seeds are ripe you should get good germination, quite quickly (weeks not months). Soak them for a couple of days, then sow them and keep them moist.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Caroline

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 02:14:06 AM »
Thanks Alisdair, I'll let you know how I get on :)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Jamus

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2015, 09:45:02 AM »
Been a while since I've posted here. Summer was quite harsh down here in Adelaide and the garden was pretty sad until recently. I have a lot (a LOT) of species sown in the nursery this autumn and am already getting germinations.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:51:46 AM by Jamus »
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2015, 09:03:29 PM »
We've got your seedling pricking out video, Jamus, but now it's time for one on seed sowing, please. I can't be the only person who never gets any difficult seeds to germinate.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Jamus

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2015, 10:30:55 PM »

Hi Fleur, that sounds like a challenge! I will endeavor to make a video on sowing seed, the way I do it. Watch this space.
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

Charithea

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 07:01:48 AM »
Yes please Jamus. Perhaps after the video I will succeed next year with Salvia lyrata,pratensis and farinaceaThe rest of the salvia seedling are flourishing.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.