Seed Germination

• 39 Replies

Trevor Australis

Re: Seed Germination
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:52 AM »
Even with care I find some seedlings damp off, esp in cold, humid conditions. A nurseryman friend recommends drenching with MANCOZEB. what do others think?
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

John

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 07:44:10 AM »
For larger seeds I don't worry about damping off much especially if they need vernalisation. For smaller seeds especially Begonia which I grow on a regular basis I surface sow them (not covered) on a relatively sterile medium with plenty of sand and vermiculite. They are then stood in a shallow tray of water which is never let dry in a propagator but I then spray them over well with a basic hand held fungicide from the local garden centre. I repeat this at least once after germination and I have to my knowledge not had any damping off even with sowing too densely.  
Damping off has occured with ferns even with this fungicide treatment but they are much easier to sow too densly and this is when you get problems. These are of course spores not true seeds and even smaller than Begonia seeds.
Here's a picture of young Pteris henryi from China which are over sown. There is a slight problem bottom centre but spraying did keep this in check. At least with something like this, a straight species, I was able to prick out tufts of them and grow on nice mature pots more quickly than just transplanting one at a time.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 08:26:53 AM »
It is really cold and damp here, mist swirling thru my greenhouse ventilators (shut) and now snow flurries. I'm not very experienced managing such challenges.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Jamus

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »
Trevor, bring your seedling trays inside! That's what I do. If your wife is anything like mine she'll LOVE it...  ;)  I've already got four pots in the fridge undergoing vernalisation. She's tolerating that quite well!
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

Jamus

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »

I made this video today with my wife's help. I've been meaning to do this because I keep getting asked what my method is. I was going to talk over what I was doing but the kids were screaming in the background, so I put a bit of music behind it instead. I don't think verbal instruction is really needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl86CWmQLPo

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »
Well done Jamus, excellent video.
I am on the look out for one of those watering bottles.

I was having problems watering some of the smaller seedlings without damaging them.
No matter how fine a spray I used it always seemed to have a negative effect.
I then started watering from below, and I am very pleased with the results.
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

Jamus

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 10:52:18 PM »

Hi westboy, the bottle is a laboratory wash bottle. Do a search for wash bottle on ebay and you should come up with some very cheaply.

pamela

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 07:53:23 AM »
I have planted a lot of seeds in the past 2/3 weeks and because of the warmth many have germinated.  Does anyone know the difficulties of germination in July or indeed what problems do I need to look out for.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Miriam

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
It depends on what plantes did you sow.
perennials? winter annuals (too early), summer annuals (too late).
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

pamela

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 10:19:36 AM »
Thanks Miriam

I sow perennials.  I thought there may be a fungus problem or something similar.  Rarely can I get seeds to germinate(for October planting) before May. Do you germinate seeds at this time in Israel?

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »
http://www.gardeninginportugal.com/seed-workshop-notes

link to basic seed collecting, cleaning and storing info. from one of our past workshops.

and, one I have found very useful, if only to know what NOT to do !

http://www.bioversityinternational.org/fileadmin/bioversity/publications/pdfs/Handbook_of_seed_technology_for_genebanks_Volume_II_52.pdf?cache=1374746217

Handbook of Seed Technology for Genebanks – Volume II. Compendium of Specific Germination
Information and Test Recommendations

Click on the link for a valuable online textbook with details of the specific requirements for germinating seed from a full range of plant families. Have the full Latin plant name of the seed ready before consulting the site.

great comments on seed sowing, fully agree with Oron, autumn sowing for most med species and fresh seed can give best results if you can give good after care. This got my caper seed on the way - I sowed it as fresh as I could and had good results.

basically, seed will not grow if it is still in the packet !  ;)

Miriam

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 11:57:49 AM »
I sow seeds (especialy bulbous plants) in October.
The combination between the heat and the humidity causes fungus problems.
Meanwhile, you can place the plants in a shady and cool place.
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

pamela

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 08:47:05 AM »
Yes, Miriam, thanks
Oron has explained about October planting on another thread but I get much better germination now in July than in Oct. Anyway I will concentrate in the fungus and keep in a cool dry place. I use something called Cheshunt Compound, but I am not sure if it works.

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 01:12:02 PM »
Thanks Jamus

I managed to buy a couple of those watering bottles on Ebay
(26pence and 01pence +£1.13p shipping to Spain)--Bargain

Keep up the videos,  ;D
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

Jamus

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 10:03:18 PM »
Hi westboy, hope they work for you. I use mine a lot whenever I don't want to wet leaves. I find them convenient.

More videos? I hadn't considered running a gardening youtube channel, but I guess come across things that it'd be useful to demonstrate to fellow enthusiasts it is a pretty powerful tool! I mean consider; you're in Spain and you've found my video and got something out of it...

Has anyone heard of using powdered cinnamon to prevent damping off? Some Australian tomato growers swear by it. I don't have time to set up an experiment at the moment but these are the types of things I could do in the future.

Good luck with your seedlings everyone. :)