Climber with flower like Pavonia multiflora - ID please!

• 21 Replies

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Re: Climber with flower like Pavonia multiflora - ID please!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
The flower would have been 2-3cm in length. It looked like it stayed in the "unopened" position, as seen in the photo of Pavonia above. Leaves were rather nondescript; oval-to-lanceolate, glossy, mid-green (a bit lighter than hibiscus leaves). ?!
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Alice

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »
Could you describe the flower, Marilyn?
Was the orange part petals or bracts? And the indigo part stamens or a spike with flowers?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 10:06:57 PM »
I just thought of Calycanthus floridus but then it isn't a climber.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 08:13:13 AM »
Hello Marylin, and all the others, I think it was a Juanulloa.  :)
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

John

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »
Yes I'd be surprised if you are wrong as the flowers die a different colour. Is it this Marilyn?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
Alessandra, you just made my day! It was indeed the Juanolla (aurantiaca, by the look of the rapid Google image search I just made). The specimen brought to the fair for ID had what must have been an old flower, the inner tube of which had "flushed" a sort of indigo blue. Thank you once again for scratching what had become a very annoying itch! :)
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 12:43:42 PM »
PS, John, have been trying send you a message on here, but I don't think it got through - could you perhaps try to send me your email address in a message? Thanks!