Climber with flower like Pavonia multiflora - ID please!

• 21 Replies

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Climber with flower like Pavonia multiflora - ID please!
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »
Hello all,
At our plant fair this Saturday, everyone was stumped by a beautiful climber with a flower that looks exactly like Pavonia multiflora before it opens fully (see photo), except that the outer petals are orange and the tube is a more indigo/navy blue colour. Any clue? It is a plant that was growing in this person's garden when they bought their house and we are all very curious to know what it might be.
Thanks!
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Jill S

Re: Climber with flower like Pavonia multiflora - ID please!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »
Looking on the web it seems to be  Pavonia x gledhillii 'Rosea' , a 19th century hybrid, not sure about the orange hue to the petals though. It's one for the want list whatever it is.
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
Reading back, I see my message might not have been clear, so just to clarify, the image above is of Pavonia multiflora (put there to jog memories in case it helped).

The plant that was brought in for ID was a robust climber with a flower very like this image, but with orange/indigo instead of magenta/violet colouring.

And Jill, yes, both of them are definitely on the want list! :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:46:03 AM by Marilyn »
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »
Could it be a Rhodochiton? :-\
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »
I have often grown Rhodochiton, they do not resemble the Pavonia in the photo, the flowers are bell-shaped (and I suppose smaller) and the colour more purple-maroon.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Jill S

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »
Oops, sorry Marilyn, thought you wanted an identification of a Pavonia variety. Sounds delicious though. Are the flowers upwards or downwards facing? and what is the foliage like?
Jill
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 06:08:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies, no definitely not Rhodochiton (atrosanguineus, at least, but I don't know if there are other, different species?)

The flowers are upright-facing and the leaf is large, oval , glossy-ish and mid-green. From the small sample, it seemed a strong climber, perhaps one could liken it to Solandra maxima in habit (smaller and slightly lighter-coloured leaves than the Solandra, though). Or Lonicera hildebrandiana...

The flowers are really exactly like *this photo* (though not so similar to the Pavonia once it (the Pavonia) is fully open), only with that different colouring.

It is driving me a little bit mad!

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:11:21 PM »
The other thing it reminded me of *slightly* is Michelia figo, but the flower apparently stays in the closed position of that Pavonia in the first photo... also like Malvaviscus arboreus. Hmmmm!

John

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 01:05:37 AM »
If it was a climber what about a Passiflora?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:25:45 PM by John »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Miriam

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »
Or maybe Thunbergia mysorensis.
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

JTh

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
Is it impossible to take a photo of this flower? It would make it a lot easier to identify.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
Perhaps Marilyn has set us a puzzle with a different twist?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »
Thanks all for the continuing efforts, alas it is nothing like any passiflora I ever saw (though I looked up "passiflora orange" just now and there were a couple of things that are not a million miles away - none of that blue colour on the inner parts of the flower though). Thunbergia mysoriensis definitely not, sorry Miriam. Unfortunately, Jorun, I did not take a photo when I could, the chap whose plant it was approached me in the middle of a plant sale and I had to go off and do something else before I had the chance (or the good sense) to take a photo. I will have to find out where he lives...!

But really, if you look at the photo in the first post, this climber's flower was exactly like it, just with the different colouring. Leaves also similar. I will certainly let you all know if I manage to track it down!

Joanna Savage

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
Could it be another Curcuma, John J had one in a guessing game earlier on this year? The leaves seem to be about the right shape, but then Curcuma doesn't climb?
The horticultural trade seem to be pushing Curcuma this year, even though there is not much chance of success in a mediterranean climate.

John

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 10:51:54 AM »
Can you say what sort of length the unopened flower would have been? Also do you remember what the leaves looked like?
John