Moth ID'd by Mike Hardman as Autographa gamma

• 5 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Moth ID'd by Mike Hardman as Autographa gamma
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:01:56 AM »
About a week ago, before our temperatures dropped and we were enjoying warm, sunny days, I noticed a lot of moths of the kind in the attached photo mainly on my Lantana plants. They were quite small but stout, especially around the head area. Can anyone tell me what they were?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:16:13 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Moth Identification
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »
This is a silver-y moth, Autographa gamma. It is quite common across large parts of Europe (including the UK).
It is one of several species around the same size and stature that have a metallic spangle in the middle of their forewings; some are silver, others golden.
[aside: how come, in the English language, we have the adjective golden for gold-coloured but we don't have a corresponding adjective for silver-coloured? (I'm ignoring auric and argentic)]
It is sometimes seen flying in the daytime; I remember seeing them on Mum & Dad's honeysuckle in the UK in the evening.
BTW, thanks for a good photo - makes identification a lot easier!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:56:40 AM »
It may be a bit archaic, Mike, but we do have silvern.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 07:39:31 AM »
John - silvern - excellent - thanks
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »
Thanks Mike, one of the reasons gardening is so fascinating to me is the opportunity to learn about so many other things because hardly a day goes past when I do not notice something unusual when about my "work". Now with the Forum I can share these experiences and get things identified saving much valuable time previously spent poring over books and still not being certain that I had made a correct identification! I also appreciate the more philosophical comments....."silvern"  a wonderful word and hardly used apart from in poetry so thanks to you too John J.  - lovely to be in contact with fellow spirits on a daily basis. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »
Umbrian// I metaphorically offer up my chalice to yours, with a smile; no need to speak. //Mike
Mike