Swallowtail caterpillar moult?

• 2 Replies

Alice

Swallowtail caterpillar moult?
« on: October 30, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »
Here is a question for Mike or any other butterfly expert.
Today two swallowtail butterfly caterpillars were spotted on a giant fennel, a big one and a much smaller one.
A few hours later only the big one was there together with what looked like its desiccated companion. Is this a simple moulting or a case of cannibalism? It seems that the zebra swallowtail is known for its cannibalism and scarce swallowtails will attack trespassers on their territory.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Swallowtail caterpillar moult?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:05:34 AM »
Hi Alice,
Good observation. Your photo shows a fresh instar caterpillar of Papilio machaon, having shed its former skin.
Where the smaller caterpillar went, I can't say. But they are eaten by birds; Sardinian warblers know these little morsels are to be found in my Crithmum maritimum, for instance. I suspect it was not eaten by the larger caterpillar, as that would have been busy with its moulting at the time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:21:35 AM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alice

Re: Swallowtail caterpillar moult?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »
Thank you Mike.
So we don't have a cannibal after all! We certainly have lots of Sardinian warblers, so the most likely explanation is that the small caterpillar became lunch for one of them.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.