Salvia leucantha

• 4 Replies

Alice

Salvia leucantha
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
Salvia leucantha flowering now.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John

Re: Salvia leucantha
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:29:44 PM »
A friend just bought a clone of this Salvia at the Autumn RHS show in Westminster. It will grow in sheltered gardens in London but struggles to flower before the cold shuts it down.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

cicerone

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:47:22 AM »
Very common (and beautiful) in California. I never water it, coppiced it several times and it keeps on coming back. My kind of plant!
- Creating a California Native / Mediterranean garden in the San Francisco Fogbelt

Trevor Australis

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:09:04 AM »
How about the S. leucantha hybrids PINK VELOUR and WHITE VELOUR. T-riffic. They seem pretty hardy in our light frost and wet winters, suckering well and coming back year after year.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

JAK

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
My Leucantha is one of the worker bees in my garden  and just keeps on flowering but right now is the peak. I should try some hybrids but Im really happy with the way this performs.
Julie Kinney. My second albeit downsized garden near Margaret River, Western Australia, Tour designer and leader, retired committee/selector of Open Gardens and Heritage Roses.