bamboo

• 9 Replies

philippe

bamboo
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Hello.
I am new in this forum.
I live in Corfu.
I would like to plant here a variety a bamboo called Bambusa Textilis Gracilis or Bambusa Textilis.
Could anyone help me find out where I can get - buy some plants.
Thanks.
Philippe

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
Re: bamboo
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:01:48 AM »
Hello Philippe,

Welcome to the Forum! I tend to dip in and out but your query has come at a good time. We have a fantastic bamboo nursery here in the Algarve which supplies the famous Bambuseriae in France. In their catalogue they list Bambusa textilis 'Gracilis' - it looks great and they say it is frost resistant to minus 10.

Their web site might be useful to you www.bambuparque.com  Their catalogue is in Portuguese and Spanish but uses Latin names throughout. They also very usefully make it clear which bamboo's are runners and which are clumpers - very important. They are a wholesale nursery to the trade but locals are welcome to visit and they do a fantastic guided tour of the huge site for groups.

Have a look and let me know if I can help, you might well find a supplier much closer to home but maybe I can help with a local contact to enquire about a 'mail order' delivery.

Good Luck with your search.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
Philippe, mark sure you have plenty of room.  The Bamboseriae in France is no place to judge a bamboo in or for the backgarden.  We had a member earlier who was desparate to get rid of his bamboo around his pool, but..........
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

philippe

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:41:49 AM »
Thanks Rosie for your answer.
It would be easier for me if I can find a supplier here in Greece but if this does not happen I could maybe have some plants sent to me from Portugal or France. They would have to be small plants, otherwise the transport would be difficult and very costly.
I looked into this nursery in Portugal, it is also in English...
If you know of any suppliers that could send me some plants, yes please let me know.

philippe

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:44:51 AM »
Hi David.
Bambusa Textilis is not a runnig bamboo so I will not have this problem.
Thanks anyway for caring.

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »
Hello Phillipe, let me know if you cannot get this anywhere close to you and I will make some enquiries about posting plants to you in Greece. Do you ever visit any other countries with MGS branches ? we might find someone coming your way who would be willing to bring some plants. Good Luck in your search.

philippe

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
Hello Rosie.
I will actually go to the south France in about 2 weeks and will stay for a week.

John

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
Hi, it may not run but it looks a really big plant and presumably requires a lot of water to be happy?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:28:05 AM »
Slightly tricky point here that Oron has moved this to the Perennials whereas I think I would consider bamboos as shrubs as they are woody. This is assuming that Perennials means herbaceous. Otherwise trees and shrubs could also be included in Perennials!!!!!!!!!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
There is a Bamboo section under Trees and Shrubs. Of course Oron is right that as glorified herbaceous plants they are really "perennials". As I said when I put that section in Trees and Shrubs, "Though bamboos are I supposed really just jumped-up grasses, most people do think of them more as shrubs - or, for the giants, even trees."
So I rather agree with John. If no-one disagrees, I shall move this whole discussion to the main Bamboo section back in Trees and Shrubs.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society