Guess the plant?

• 10 Replies

John J

Guess the plant?
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »
I have often been amused and/or frustrated, even occasionally been baffled, by labels found on plants in local 'garden centres'. They tend to be written in either Greek, English or a sort of hybrid Grenglish and to be vaguely representative of how the particular writer interprets the sound of their name, never having seen it written down. Frequently they are written in felt-tip pen on yellow plastic labels and are suffering from fading by the sun. This morning I came across what is possibly the worst example I have found to date as it bears only a passing resemblance to the actual thing. If you could see the plant you'd know instantly what it was but would you recognise it from the label: BLUEBANGO? Or am I being overcritical? I guess if you substitute a couple of letters and omit a third...
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
Re: Guess the plant?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
Blue Vinca? I have seen worse here, if  I should be so lucky to see any label at all.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Casalima

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »
Bougainvillea?
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Alice

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
Plumbago?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:33:18 PM »
Of course, Alice
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alice

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
I have come across a Grevillea juniperina described as a juniper.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
My favourite was 'Quercus normale' when I asked what sp. a nursery was selling.

John J

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 04:28:48 AM »
I knew I could rely on you, Alice.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »
My favourite was 'Quercus normale' when I asked what sp. a nursery was selling.
hahahahahaha!
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

Alice

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »
Almost believable, Joanna.
You have to admire their inventiveness.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »
Bluebango is priceless! I am going to adopt that as my standard term of reference for plumbagos from now on. It's kind of a visual onomatopoeia - a big blue bang in the garden!

When I worked in nurseries, my colleagues and I would often joke that a plant which had gone chlorotic, and therefore yellowed of leaf, was "var. Aurea"... We did not go so far as to say this to clients, however. ;)
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.