A second spring, some confused trees and bushes?

• 4 Replies

JTh

• Email
A second spring, some confused trees and bushes?
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
Carol mentioned something about a second spring in another thread a couple of weeks ago, and I discovered that some trees and bushes are behaving strangely this autumn.  I recently discovered that some of the wild pear trees around here are producing flower as if it is already spring again, I wonder what they will do next spring. I believe the one in the photos is what Lanfranchis & Sfikas calls Pyrus spinosa (= P. amygdaliformis, none of these names arefound  in the IPNI Plant Lis, thought). They can be very spiny, and I have a couple in our garden that have been grafted, one with pears (producing much more than we can eat), and a second one with both pears and apples.

The other bush which seems to believe it is spring is a broom, which one I’m not quite sure, but maybe somebody can tell me? They are not spiny, the flours are fairly large, I don’t think the leaves were hairy. The one in the photo was probably nearly 3 m tall. (Photos taken with my phone camera.)
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alice

Re: A second spring, some confused trees and bushes?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:38:12 AM »
See also my post about the unusual behaviour of my quince tree, under "Fruit and Vegetables".
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:47:01 AM »
JTh, your broom looks like Senna corymbosa.  It used to  be called Cassia corymbosa.
Although the one in your photo, seems to have slightly more rounded leaves.
There is one in my village, outside the local Taverna.
Daisy
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:30:31 PM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »
Daisy and Jorun

I would say Colutea arborescens.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »
Thank you, Daisy, but I tend to agree with Oron, Colutea arborescens was on top of my list of possible names.

And Alice, I saw your information about the strange behaviour of your quince, my obesrvation just did not fit the section 'Fruit and vegetables', but the phenomenon seems to be the same.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.