growing galanthus and fritillaria

• 25 Replies

John

Re: growing galanthus and fritillaria
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
Sorry I didn't reply quickly. I do have an image which I will try to post. It isn't very exiting though but I feel it might have hybrid vigour and grow better outdoors, at least for us here in the UK. Not tried yet though.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »
Here's clone A. With Athyrium niponicum 'Wildwood twist'
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

HansA

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
Thanks a lot John, it is a beauty!!
Could you also post a picture of the leaves, please - I am curious to see how much/ if something of reginae - olgae is visible in the leaves? Did you use reginae - olgae as podparent?
I am thinking about crossing a green tipped reginae - olgae with a green tipped monostictus - perhaps will get a green tipped cross?
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

John

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 06:05:55 PM »
Me too. The parent was G. elwesii. I may have to take a pic of the leaves again to post a pic.
John

HansA

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »
Thanks John - I wish you good luck with the cross!

Actually four Galanthus species are in flower - three of them are on this picture - G. elwesii monostictus (front), G. cilicicus (middle) and G. reginae-olgae (back).
landscape architect

John

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 12:15:46 PM »
And quite a boldly marked Cyclamen rohlfsianum too.
John

John

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »
Here's a cross between Galanthus peshmenii and G. reginae-olgae, clone D. Which I have to say isn't all that exciting!
John

HansA

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 12:35:35 AM »
Nice Galanthus, John! Being an hybrid is it more vigorous than the two species?
landscape architect

HansA

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
Two nice ones flowering today - Galanthus reginae-olgae and G. elwesii monostictus.
landscape architect

John

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Hans, again I have only just seen this posting. The G. peshmenii cross isn't so far more vigorous than either parent.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:26:55 PM by Alisdair »
John

Hilary

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 08:25:28 AM »
I see that Galanthus reginae-olgae has already been discussed on this Forum. I wrote out the following to persuade my friend that they were Snowdrops which we saw and not something else.

Galanthus reginae- olgae.      AUTUMN SNOWDROP
Seen growing in the Castor River Gorge, Kastori ,Lakonia

“Leaves….. usually appearing after the flowers
Flowers white, the inner tepals green, heart-shaped mark at the notched end.
Woodland and rocky places. Oct-Dec. Sicily, SW Yugoslavia and  W Greece. Very similar in appearance to the common Snowdrop ….save for its autumn- flowering habit. The flowers are sweetly scented “

I have quoted from the book of Marjorie Blamey and Christopher Grey- Wilson  WILD FLOWERS of the MEDITERRANEAN  as several of my friends were confused, as I was, about Snowdrops in autumn

When I saw that there were so many Snowdrops I allowed myself to pick one for photographic purposes. It was either that or lie in the mud
Here are some close ups which show the heart- shaped mark clearly.

Now some information about the name
Galanthus= with milky- white flowers
This plant was first described in 1876  by Theodoros Orphanides who named it Galanthus reginae-olgae meaning of Queen Olga who was then Queen of Greece.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care