Pancratium maritimum

• 6 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Pancratium maritimum
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
I have just harvested 18 seeds from my Pancratium maritimum  - they look like pieces of liquorice  :)
What should I do now? - should they be planted immediately and in what kind of medium?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Miriam

Re: Pancratium maritimum
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
Now is the right time to sow the seeds.
Sow them in a gritty mix 5mm deep.
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:27:59 AM »
Thanks Miriam, will do and keep my fingers crossed :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:32:40 AM »
Our Pancratium plants come back every year without fail. Below is the first of this season.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:12:53 AM »
Lovely!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 09:35:11 AM »
This was a response to something I discovered was an old posting, but it seems to be impossible to remove it completely.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:49:08 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 08:07:45 AM »
Our plants were grown from seed collected on a beach in Crete around 8 years ago so they have by now got substantial underground storage organs and come back stronger every year. We sow seeds from them into free-draining soil and they germinate well.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)