Wisteria

• 22 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Re: Wisteria
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 11:52:49 AM »
6 years on one of the wisteria vines is flowering well. the second was  set back a bit by standing too close to someone with a strimmer ::)
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Caroline

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 10:48:31 PM »
Beautiful! Mine, which is also trained over a pergola, is almost over.  Going back through my photos, I see that it was about two weeks earlier than usual.  Global warming? Or the result of severe drought stress? The Banksia rose which it is supposed to combine with (see my earlier post) definitely suffered from lack of water - which meant it was later flowering than usual.  The banksia and the wisteria did not coincide - yet again.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 10:52:04 AM »
Hi  Caroline,
plants aren't always cooperative with our design plans! :o
We followed Trevor's advice and trained the vines up wires to reach the top of the pergola and then along separate wires to cover the cross beams.
Here are a couple of pics from below to show that it  did climb from the ground up the equivalent of two storeys
cheers
fermi

Charithea

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 12:29:20 PM »
Wow!, Spetacular!! We have a pale blue one but it has never reached this splender.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 05:10:59 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 01:01:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that your plans didn't come to fruition this year Caroline. Sounds like a beautiful combination of colours- Fingers crossed for next year.

I only really started "gardening" in a mediterranean climate 5 years ago when I moved into my present accommodation. I use inverted commas because most of my planting is in tubs with 2-3 plants in each tub. This year, having seen how things have, or have not, grown over the years it is time for a massive rethink. Before, when I had only a balcony, colour combinations could be created and recreated almost daily as everything was in individual pots.

Wish me luck. I am going to start the task over the coming weekend.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 02:48:20 AM »
Some more up-to-date pics of the white wisteria on our back deck,
cheers
fermi

Charithea

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 05:49:45 PM »
Fermi, they look beautiful.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 03:38:21 PM »
Thanks, Charithea,
the beauty is fleeting but the shade they cast is why they are grown.
They haven't quite covered the whole pergola but they shade the kitchen window nicely,
cheers
fermi