Identification please - NOW SOLVED

• 11 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Identification please - NOW SOLVED
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »
Forum member David Bracey has asked me to post this picture for him, hoping for an identification. I haven't been able to suggest a candidate myself.
David, do you have any record of where and when you took the picture? And/or a close-up?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:51:20 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Identification please
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »
Thanks it was taken last Sunday in Montreux, CH.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:31:29 AM »
Some variety of Buddleia?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »
Good one, Carole: it does look like Buddleja globosa, but that usually flowers in midsummer. It is such an odd year climate-wise that I suppose it could have been flowering for a second time when David saw it.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »
No its not B. globosa unfortunately where the flowers are v distinctive.  The lakeside walk at Montreux contains many many mediterranean plants including Q subra, Olea, Punica, Melia , Acacia.  Of coarse this could be a tempertae species.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »
Buddleia madagascariensis has yellow flowers and produces them in winter/early spring. I have read it is not a hardy plant but will go down to quite low temeratures and as you say you have a lot of Mediterranean plants along the walk maybe it could survive there.

I have one young plant which I bought this year so I have never seen the flowers - only in pictures. Mine has greyish leaves and the bush looks as though it will be quite an open bush as it grows.

Just a thought, no expert knowledge on my part so I am probably way off the mark!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »
It belongs to a very famous mediterranean plant family.
MGS member.

ritamax

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »
Osmanthus fragrans f.aurantiacus, here is a link to the plants in the Promenade fleurie in Montreux, extraordinary plants they have. http://doc.rero.ch/lm.php?url=1000,43,42,20110822000031-ZZ/37-12.pdf
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »
Absolutely correct. How did you put two and two to-gether??  Subject for my next article for TMG.
MGS member.

ritamax

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »
The photo on the last page of the link I gave shows the plant. I looked it then up in the internet. I was interested to find out about the plants on the Promenade fleurie as I have visited it several times.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 04:50:37 AM »
Thanks for the link Ritamax - mouthwatering 'photos - well worth visiting - both the link and the place sometime in the future, added to my wish list :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
As it turns out that David was giving us a quiz to solve rather than asking for ID, I'm shifting this to the other quizzes, in the Miscellaneous section.
Alisdair Aird