A glorious autumn

• 4 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
A glorious autumn
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:59:34 AM »
Weatherwise, this year has been very different to most since I have been living in Italy with, above all, unusual temperature fluctuations. However since the very welcome rain that fell at the end of August the garden has sprung back to life and subjects that had performed poorly earlier in the year and gone into early summer hibernation mode once really high temperatures set in earlier than normal are now covered in bloom. Many salvias for instance, rosemary, nepeta,etc and my Trachelospermum asiaticum is blooming, albeit sparsely, for a second time for the first time ever. Gauras, Verbena bonariensis and Erigeron karvanskianus - all favourites for filling difficult spaces -  are flourishing again and proving their worth. It almost feels like spring :)
Are members in other countries experiencing this?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
Re: A glorious autumn
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
After nearly four very hot months without rain I did not expect to see that everything (almost) in our garden Halkidiki would be doing so well when we arrived a week ago; the rain a couple of weeks earlier really  helped, so I agree with you, Carol, it is almost like spring. Many brooms have started producing new leaves, and yesterday we found new shoots of wild asparagus when we walked in the olive groves around here, they were delicious eaten raw.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »
Just had the first proper rain for months here in western Cyprus; will be interesting to see what sort of transformation it brings...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »
Green with envy here, Mike. This afternoon we've been watching the black clouds away to the north-west and listening to the distant rumbles of thunder but not a drop down here in the south.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »
Even greener with envy. Not a drop here yet either. And not much likelihood for another ten days or so, it seems. Everything bone dry and dusty.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.