Autumn flowers from Mt. Hymettus

• 8 Replies

Bolanthus

• Email
Autumn flowers from Mt. Hymettus
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »
Though rather inconspicuous in some habitats, autumn is a second spring for the Mediterranean region. It brings with it exquisite flowers like the yellow Amaryllis of Linnaeus (soon after to be transferred to genus Sternbergia), colchicums, autumn and sea squills, and of course cyclamens!

On Mt. Hymettus three are the season jewels of late September and these are i) Cyclamen graecum, ii) Sternbergia lutea*, iii) Prospero autumnale (Scilla autumnalis). I managed to get a photo where all three can be seen simultaneously, though Sternbergia is right before flowering and Prospero is unfocused. Subsequent photos demonstrate the beauty of these species! 

"We all love the rocks!"

Cyclamens arround a young Phlomis fruticosa -also some dried Carlina corymbosa

*In the web site of Euro + Med [the database which I use for valid nomenclature and the distribution of species] I saw that S. sicula is now considered to be the same species of S. lutea, and -to my surprise- so does the tiny S. greuteriana from Crete.
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Autumn flowers from Mt. Hymettus
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »
Glorious pictures, Aris!
That pinkish Prospero is quite something....
Incidentally, in the Bulbs section there's quite a long discussion about the naming of all those Sternbergias which you can see by clicking here. (My potful of "Sternbergia greuteriana" has just started flowering here in UK though kept completely dry under glass - looks as if only the cooler weather has prompted it, though I have now given the thirsty little things their first autumn drink.)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:53:02 PM »
Glorious pictures, Aris!
That pinkish Prospero is quite something....
Incidentally, in the Bulbs section there's quite a long discussion about the naming of all those Sternbergias which you can see by clicking here. (My potful of "Sternbergia greuteriana" has just started flowering here in UK though kept completely dry under glass - looks as if only the cooler weather has prompted it, though I have now given the thirsty little things their first autumn drink.)

Thank you Alisdair, I think that your lilliputian "greuterianas" are quite something also ;) I just read the thread on S. lutea and couldn't agree more at least for the case of the "sicula" form. On the other hand "greauterianas" are so extremely small that It would be intriguing if new (genetic) experiments would sugest rather a subsp. greuteriana. I have not yet read the studies that  demonstrate a  phenotypic continuum down to tiny greuteriana form. Even in this case many such "populations" of greuterianas could be geneticaly isolated in their habitats and could represent subspecies. Just a thought...
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »
Lovely photos Bolanthus especially love the one with the flowers emerging from the round holes in the rock :)
Now I will show my ignorance :-[.......where is Mt Hymettis?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Jill S

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »
Isn't Hymettus the mountain behind Sparoza? or am I getting it confused with somewhere else?

Love the photographs Bolanthus, the flowers look so fresh and spring like.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:58:21 PM by JillS »
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 01:53:23 AM »
Hymettus is the closest mountain to the (historical) center of Athens. Sparoza is also located on the foot of Hymettus, but from the other (East) side of the mountain. See picture below

Aris Zografidis

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 05:45:44 AM »
Many thanks :) :) :) having been to Sparoza on a couple of occasions I perhaps should have known but geography was never my strong point. Terrific map :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alice

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
Just love your Mt Hymettus autumn jewels!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
For anyone who's interested my town, Koropi, and husband, Nikos, are organising a weekend of talks and walks about Mt Hymettos. George Sfikas is doing the flora part. I'll post the poster when there is one.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece