What is this? - now solved!

• 4 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
What is this? - now solved!
« on: September 27, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
Never can get the tantalising flower ones that our true experts put on. Here is one just for fun :D :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:35:28 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alice

Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »
Curled up hairy caterpillar?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:32:26 AM »
Quite right Alice - I think it is one of the Tiger Moth caterpillers - big and hairy. When I went to move him to a wilder part of the garden he curled up into a perfect "Catherine  Wheel ". I couldn't resist taking a 'photo of him. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alice

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:15:57 AM »
Quite a little monster!
At first I thought it was some sort of seed head but the hairs didn't seem right.
From pictures on the internet I too suspected it might be a tiger moth caterpillar. Perhaps one or our entomologist experts can confirm which one?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: What is this? - now solved!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 06:39:37 AM »
I think it may be the Jersey Moth caterpiller as we have had a lot of those around this year. I posted a 'photo for identification earlier - a very strikingly patterned moth. However my book for identifying moths and their caterpillers only gave one illustration that did not correspond exactly but the general description "big and hairy" seems to point to that group.  ???