Anemone x hybrida 'Honorine Jobert' and other hybrids

• 12 Replies

pamela

Anemone x hybrida 'Honorine Jobert' and other hybrids
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »
One of my most favourite plants of all time is Anemone x hybrida 'Honorine Jobert'. Japanese anemone.  I have seen it growing with abandon in both French and English gardens over the years. Totally divine but I fear not for me in the Costa Blanca ...and how I have tried!  It will not perform.  Does anyone grow it in the Med?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:28:56 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Anemone x hybrida 'Honorine Jobert'
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:12:47 AM »
I brought some from my mother's garden years ago but it was a total failure in Athens.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 03:41:06 PM »
We have seen it growing well in the south of France - but in a fairly well watered garden. I may be able to dig out a picture when I get back to England (we'd in a very dried-out SW France at the moment).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
Struggled for me last year and I helped it along with the occasional watering but this year it turned up its toes very quickly when June temperatures soared and I reluctantly let it go. :(
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

pamela

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
Yes,   Sadly, I thought so......thank you all. But I am still interested hearing from  the gardener who has defied this!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:04:44 PM by pamela »

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
Pamela. I don't grow Honorine Jobert yet, but I do have Konigin Charlotte and Pamina.
Pamina was planted two years ago and is growing strongly and spreading well.
Queen Charlotte, was only planted a year ago and is growing strongly, but not yet spreading.
Pamina and one plant of Queen Charlotte are planted in full summer shade, under an apricot tree.
The other plant of Queen Charlotte is also near the apricot tree, but is in sun until about noon.
They do behave differently here in Crete compared to the U.K.
They don't start flowering until much later. They are truly autumn flowering here.
Mine are not yet in flower. There are plenty of buds to open soon though.

Pamina in bud today.

Konigin Charlotte in bud today.

I will take more photos when they are open.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

pamela

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »
Daisy!  Ohh they look amazing...how do you do it?  I just cannot believe those grown are in Crete! I am so envious! Some questions...Do you water them?  How deep did you plant them? ( I am wondering if I did not plant my rhizomes deep enough.) Fertilize? If mine looked liked that I would be so happy!  What a simply lovely garden you have.  Thank you!

Daisy

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
As promised here are a few photos of my Anemone x hybridas.

Queen Charlotte.

Pamina with a stray flower of Salvia involucrata Bethellii getting in on the act.

Queen Charlotte and Pamina together.

They both started flowering about twelve days ago.
Pamela, I bought them as young plants from, http://www.cornwallgardens.com/
I have never fed them. They get watered once a fortnight along with the rest of the garden. They are mainly in deep summer shade, under the apricot tree.
They look better in real life than in the photos. The deep shade tends to flatten the colours in photos. But in reality, they glow in the shade.
Daisy
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:53:54 AM by Daisy »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

John

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 10:32:06 PM »
I would have said to succeed, as Daisy has, they would need enough shade and enough moisture, certainly they wouldn't like any real drought.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Daisy

Re: Anemone x hybrida 'Honorine Jobert' and other hybrids
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
Last year I was sent an Anemone x hybrida in error for another plant.
I planted it where it gets full sunshine until around lunchtime.
It budded up a lot earlier than my other anemones which are in full summer shade, but still hasn't opened.
I am hoping that it is the white Honorine Jobert, as I already have two pink varieties.
It is teasing me. It has been in bud for about 4 weeks now, but still hasn't opened. The buds look like it will be white, but then so do the buds on my pink anemones. :-\ :-\ :-\ So that is no help ::)
The anticipation is driving me mad!!!
Daisy ::)

008 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

007 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Daisy

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »
Well! Isn't it always the way.
The new anemone has turned out to be bright pink. ::)
It is a much richer pink than my camera shows.

009 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

That is fine except it is next to Dahlia Firepot :o :o :o

011 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Ouch! I will have to move it during the winter.

It is the first of my anemones in flower. It is in full sun until around lunch time.
The others are in deep, summer shade. They are all in bud, but have not opened yet.
It would seem, that they can take more hot sunshine than I thought they would like.
Daisy :)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »
Hi Pamela,

I took the attached photos in Villa d'Este, Tivoli just outside Rome this summer. I assume the plants get water over the summer as there was an irrigation system in the beds where they were growing. But none of them were near the fountains for which the garden is so famous. One bed was at the top of the garden, against a wall and receiving full afternoon sun. The second bed was in a much shadier place.

You can see a short section of Monte Don's TV programmes on Italian Gardens dedicated to Villa d'Este here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HQjOtN9PMU.

So, it appears that they can be grown in the Mediterranean - don't give up just yet!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

DebbieTeashon

• Rainy Side Gardeners
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »
I know I am weighing in here late. I'm in Washington state with a cooler Med climate and this baby 'Honorine Jobert' loves it here. Loves it too much I should say, as it romps happily around the garden. It takes full sun to partial shade here. I finally took it out as it was becoming a problem child. I still find it coming up around my pond four years later. It's so beautiful so I am thinking next piece that comes up I will pot it up in a container where I can enjoy it and not worry about it being a thug.
Gardening on the Rainy Side in Washington state. 9 months of rain in the colder months and dry summers.