Clematis

• 41 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Re: Clematis
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 12:13:26 PM »
Lovely Fermi, do you know it's parentage? I'm a sucker for Clematis - obviously it withstands hot dry conditions reasonably well....
I think it's a seedling from Clematis tangutica
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
An update on Clematis 'Golden Tiara' this year - this time including seedheads from an earlier flowering
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
Re: Clematis 'Golden Tiara'
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 12:21:35 PM »
Clematis 'Golden Tiara' now in seed
cheers
fermi

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2018, 10:37:43 AM »
Just to confirm earlier points made on this topic, Clematis are worth growing in mediterranean climates. You might need something to cover the bare patches left in summer, however. My Clematis are springing back to life after summer. Clematis 'Piilu' died back to ground level but within the last 2 weeks new shoots have appeared, about 1.5m in length and it has started flowering. Clematis 'The President' and Clematis 'Mrs Cholmondeley' didn't die back but stopped growing and looked a little tatty. They are starting to show new growth now and should give some autumn flowers.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »
David your clematis are lovely.  I saw some Cematis growing in a garden in Malia village which is situated below the foothills of Mount  Troodos. They were splendid. I won't give in to this new temptation. Hope others will and post their photos.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2020, 07:20:47 AM »
Clematis armandi

Seen in the Royal Botanic Garden, Madrid in April 2018

This Clematis is mentioned several times in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN

Today I chose for you and me to read
GARDENING THE MEDITERRANEAN WAY
By Carole Cross
The drawings used to illustrate the article are also by Carole Cross

THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 36, April 2004
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2020, 06:58:43 AM »
Clematis armandii is one that does well in Mediterranean climates usually as it flowers in the winter and is tough enough to withstand summer drought and heat. However it needs a lot attention to prevent it's lower growth from becoming an unsightly mess as one of your photos illustrates Hilary. When in flower it is wonderful with masses of scented blooms just when many gardens are at their most drab.  Growth is rampant after flowering and a lot of painstaking work is needed to prune out older growth and guide the new in the required direction. The photo shows one trained over a doorway at a friend's house - a lovely welcome when in flower the memory of which one has to remember when attending to it's needs.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2020, 08:00:19 AM »
Clematis 'Romantika' growing on a rose tripod with a less vigorous rose!
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 09:09:10 AM »
Beautiful colour Fermi. I love Clematis but find I have to be very careful when choosing since our hot summers can be a challenge. I have just moved two that came with me when we moved house several years ago and that have never performed well since. Now the garden is developing I have hopefully found new homes for them where the roots will kept cooler and the plants keep healthier and flower more.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Clematis 'Mrs Cholmondeleyi'
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2021, 02:04:52 PM »
This winter this clematis died right back to soil level, no dried stems at all. But it has come back with a vengeance. Only one flower so far but it is nearly twice the usual size. It is growing up Iochroma australis
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2021, 01:24:29 PM »
Clematis can be very temperamental. I bought a Viennetta 'Garland' on impulse being unable to resist the very prolific and showy flowers. Last year it flowered non stop until nearly Christmas - the later flowers were  much smaller and very simple lacking  the earlier vibrant colour. I thought it had flowered itself to death when no signs of growth appeared in early spring when other varieties were springing into life  but now three new shoots have appeared much to my delight. It will be interesting to see what kind of flowers it produces .......

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2021, 12:21:39 PM »
Clematis 'Hagley Hybrid'
cheers
fermi