Clematis

• 41 Replies

John

Re: Clematis
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »
Yes I saw it in full flower in Pigi too.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 11:12:38 PM »
 I grow Clematis flammula too.  but wish I didn't have it. My seed came years ago from the Hardy Plant Society seed exchange. It grew marvellously well and soon covered a large holly tree. It flowered brilliantly and filled the air with a glorious sweet perfume. And the fluffy seed heads looked wonderful in Autumn. Then the seed heads shattered and the seeds were carried away on the breezes. Oh Dear! The seedlings came up everywhere, hundreds and hundreds of them. After several years applying ivy & blackberry killer to the main plant it is finally dead but the seedlings still appear and I am still swabbing them. It is one very tough plant and having no natural enemies here it tends to become rampant and too willing. In my experience it should be regarded as having weed potential outside its natural habitats.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
We have a couple of these "medium" sized flowering clematis - this is 'Polish Spirit', which I presume was one of the series of hybrids raised in Poland - it rather overpowers the 'Abraham Darby' rose on the wrought iron rose-pillar,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Trevor Australis

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »
I should have added that Clematis campaniflora has a strong tendency to run amok too, given the chance. Clematis viticella the species that is, is somewhat better behaved but still seeds about and show a little variation.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 07:49:30 AM »
This Clematis texensis is a gentle climber and no self sown seedlings!
It's possibly 'Etoile Rose' or something similar,
cheers
fermi

gertrude

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »
Talking of clematis, does anyone who lives in Italy have any idea where I would be able to buy clematis.  The only variety I have seen around our area is clematis armandii.  Dont mention seeds, lifes to short.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 02:58:26 AM »
Hi Gertrude

There is a selection of clematis available from http://www.vivaipriola.it/arbusti?specie=Clematis.

I can vouch for them, having received plants via post a couple of times from them. You will need to contact them to obtain their bank details, pay for your agreed order through your bank (post office?), email them to send them the transaction details and your plants will arrive within 24hrs of the date they give you as the postal date.

Failing this, depending on where you are in Italy, there are plant shows coming up where you can find a wide selection of clematis. If you are in or around Rome try  25th - 27th April http://www.aldobrandini.it/sito/giardi/piantine.php or, it seems the same weekend???!, http://www.floracult.com/home.aspx. Later in the year there is the annual event in Villa Borghese 16th -18th May http://www.laconservadellaneve.it/

On the following blog page there is a fairly extensive list of what is going on Italy wide http://fioriefoglie.tgcom24.it/wpmu/fiere-e-manifestazioni-di-giardinaggio/.

Hope this helps :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

gertrude

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 07:09:16 AM »
Thank you David, I should be able to find something from all this info.  Much appreciated.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
Hi Gertrude,

A correction to what I wrote earlier.

The dates in May refer to an event at the Parco della Musica in Rome http://www.festivaldelverdeedelpaesaggio.it/ not http://www.laconservadellaneve.it/ which really is later in the year in September. Got my wires crossed, sorry :-)

Hope you find what you are looking for.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Daisy

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »
Here is my Clematis Perle d'Azur a couple of weeks ago.
The heat wave we have had since then, has put paid to this seasons flowering, but I know that it will flower for a second time in the autumn.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 08:04:12 AM »
A year later and here is my Perle d'Azur now.

The Mandevilla laxa which was flowering with it last year, is only just starting to form the first buds this year. All the tender plants are later his year. We have had a long and cool spring.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 12:19:07 PM »
Clematis campaniflora is flowering now on the cool side of the house
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
Beautiful Fermi, I love the " nodding" flowered Clematis and this one is a stunner.
I have had great success with Clematis rehderiana also planted on the cooler side of the house and as well as beautiful bunches of flowers the perfume fills the small area where it is planted.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 09:27:18 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 12:28:23 PM »
We got this Clematis hybrid, 'Golden Tiara' a few years ago and this season seems to be its best,
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 01:49:56 PM »
Lovely Fermi, do you know it's parentage? I'm a sucker for Clematis - obviously it withstands hot dry conditions reasonably well....
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.