Ipomoea

• 31 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Ipomoea
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2018, 06:28:53 AM »
Hadn't thought of that comparison Hilary but you are right and this plant did a good job of winding itself around the Salvia rather than just climbing as they do when planted against trellis or sticks. It is also a prolific flowerer which adds to the effect.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Ipomoea
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 03:11:18 AM »
On a different note but still relating to Ipomea, I noticed that the seed heads of Ipomea "Star of Yalta" (thanks for the seeds Charithea :-)) have a distinct and very rigid bend in the stems making them point to the ground. Very convenient for the seed but, given the size and weight of each seed, I wouldn't have thought this would be of any advantage to the plant as the seed would fall immediately to the ground anyway.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.