For members in Rome, Italy.

• 3 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
For members in Rome, Italy.
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
Are there any members living in or around Rome, Italy (that may seem obvious but there are lots of other places around the world which have the same name :) ) who would be interested in forming an informal group for meeting up or visiting local gardens etc?

Ci sono soci a Roma, Italia (sembra ovvio ma ci sono tante altre città nel mondo che si chiamano Roma :-)) o intorno a cui piacerebbe formare un piccolo gruppo informale per incontri o anche visite ai giardini intorno a Roma ecc?

Sono David Dickinson e il mio email e:

daviddick_47@hotmail.com

Saluti
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
Re: For members in Rome, Italy.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:55:41 AM »
Hi David, I am in Rome on a irregular schedule but very often - sort of commuting from Ischia. My calendar is normally quite hectic but I would be happy to join meetings and gatherings! By the way I am giving  a talk at the Botanic Gardens on January 23 at 3:30 pm, about La Mortella, and  you are welcome!
Alessandra
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, so far, it looks as if there will not be any local informal group as you are the only person to have replied to my email:-(

How I envy you being on Ischia. I used to live in Naples and know La Mortella well. What a beautiful garden! Every time I go down to Naples I try to get across and visit the garden.

I am also a great fan of William Walton's music. When I was there two summers ago I was listening to a performance of Belshazzar's Feast on video in the museum. It was being performed in Leeds Town Hall. I am from Leeds so it was very nostalgic for me. At that moment I heard another Yorkshire accent at the side of me and it was a man from Scarborough. We got chatting and it turned out that he he had performed as an instrumental player (organist?) in a performance of B. Feast in Leeds Town Hall himself. Strange that we our paths should cross in that moment by chance on an island in the Bay of Naples.

I have tried in vain to find a copy of the video that Lady Walton made of the garden on DVD. Do you have any decision making powers/influence in that field? It would be great to see it available again.

As for your visit and talk in Rome, I am afraid that I am working at that time. However, thanks very much for the information and perhaps we can meet up some other time when you are in Rome. If you are staying in Rome overnight and are at a loose end I would be happy to meet up in the evening and have something to eat. I work at the British Council in the centre of Rome until 21.00.

Thanks again for your reply and good luck with your talk. Not that you need luck with such a wonderful garden to talk about!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »
David, we regularly sell dvd copies of that film  at our shop! Let me know in a private message how I can reach you, and I will bring you a copy next time.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10