Planting Tulbaghia question

• 9 Replies

pamela

Planting Tulbaghia question
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »
I have just received some Tulbaghia violacea 'Alba' from Bulb’Argence.  They have been freshly dug with a lot of roots and about 20cms of green leaves. For best results should I wait for them to dry out before planting (probably one month or so, I think) or should I plant them now?

Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Planting Tulbaghia question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »
Definitely plant now. What I'm discovering with Tulbaghia is that they have to divided up before they get too big. Some of my big clumps which were beautiful in the spring have collapsed and look a dried up mess whereas the ones I divided are green and flowering.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Jill S

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:03:28 PM »
Fleur, is this the right time of year to split them up?
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

pamela

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »
Thanks Fleur, it was helpful but it was not quite what I was asking.  I want to know if its more or less (or it doesn't matter) beneficial if bulbs are planted dry or green.  In other words is it best or not if they die down out of the soil .

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
Jill, the plant in the second picture has to be divided now or it may not survive, but the first is just coming into flower so I’ll leave it until this flush of flowering is over. You can cut them with a carving knife, they don’t mind. I have two little self-seedings from the first plant.
Pamela, no they don’t like to die right down, they stay green all year with summer irrigation and flower from autumn into the winter. If you plant now they should flower for you soon.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Jill S

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
Fleur, Thank you, your experience has provided an explanation for the loss of the first clump of Tulbaghia which I planted a few years ago. Until now I couldn't figure out why it ran out on me. I'll know better in future! and catch them before they get too far gone.
Jill
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

pamela

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:58:25 AM »
Thanks Fleur..excellent info. BTW how old is that top clump of yours and was it planted from one solitary bulb?. I was considering planting in groups of 3 or 5 but now I'm not so sure.....

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 08:33:19 AM »
The clumps are 4 - 5 years old but they were quite big to start with. I then learnt to divide up the pot plants I bought into at least four. I think three to five stems/bulbs would be fine.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:47:43 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »

pamela

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »
Plenty of information now Fleur ...much appreciated!

Hilary

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 09:55:21 AM »
Tulbaghia violacea

A shopping Mall near Corinth has a large area planted with plants suitable for the Mediterranean climate. I took photos in November 2017 and again in November 2019. However, I was not able to acquire a list of the plants used.

Recently a new friend of mine settled in her new home and started creating a Mediterranean garden. A visit was scheduled for February but was cancelled because of high winds and re scheduled for March, Hmm. A while ago she sent me some photos of the garden as it is now and there it was, one of the mystery plants. By return of emails she told me it was Tulbaghia.

Then I remembered it was one of the plants used in Sparta when a children's playground was entirely re made

The first photo is from June 2014 in the children's playground, Sparta
The next two photos are from Mare West in November 2017
The last two photos are from Mare West in November 2019   

Tulbaghia is mentioned many times in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN
I have chosen issue number 86, October 2016 for you to read

UPS AND DOWNS IN A ‘DRY’ GARDEN AND WATERING by
Kate Marcelin- Rice 
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care