Thai basil

• 6 Replies

ritamax

Thai basil
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:10:54 PM »
Thai basil is such a valuable plant on the terrace here in Basel, I cultivate it as an annual as I don't know where to put it in the winter and it grows to this huge bush in one summer. Bees just love it! It doesn't seem to need much water and it is in full sun, but we do get rain here, so my question is, how would it do in the Med, could one cultivate it as a perennial, would it need regular watering?
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

pamela

Re: Thai basil
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »
Your Thai basil is lovely....  In my experience all basils need water here and plenty of it.  I have mine in pots.  I grow amongst others, Ocimum x citriodorum 'Siam Queen' It has purple flowers and a strange licorice smell.  It definitely needs water.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:14:04 AM by pamela »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

ritamax

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:52:42 PM »
Thank you, Pamela! I found out, that my variety is Ocimum basilicum Magic Blue, it is a shrubby perennial and needs less water than the Italian types. It takes any weather, hail, storm and rain, temperatures ranging from 5 to 38 degrees and looks always fine.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:24:33 AM »
Your Thai basil is lovely....  In my experience all basils need water here and plenty of it.  I have mine in pots.  I grow amongst others, Ocimum x citriodorum 'Siam Queen' It has purple flowers and a strange licorice smell.  It definitely needs water.

Hi Pamela,
we got a punnet of Thai basil and some of the seedlings were different to the usual type - then I saw a plant of "Siam Queen" and realised that that is what they were!
[attachthumb=1]

Do you use it the same of the ordinary Thai Basil?
[attachthumb=2]

cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

pamela

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 05:16:45 PM »
Hello Fermi!
Well personally I dont use the Thai basil as although I like the smell I am not sure how it would taste!  Its very pretty and lovely to touch and smell in the summer.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »
We've used it in salads and cooking and no ill effects so far ;D
I've been told that we'll be including it in the flower border next year!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

pamela

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »
I am sure there would be no ill effects....its just that I dont like eating licorice!!