New to MGS Forum

• 4 Replies

JR

• Email
New to MGS Forum
« on: September 11, 2012, 05:56:14 AM »
I just wanted to say hello to the group. I am a novice when it comes to gardening in the mediterranean climate. I have had a small garden for several years here in France, but I has been a battle to preserve the garden each winter. The house fronts on the beach which presents it's own set of headaches which I will tell you about in a moment.   

This last winter I completely rebuilt, and I hope improved, the garden. I not only increased the area of the garden, but installed drip irrigation, built a pergola, and installed about 200 square meters of paving.

The major problem I am trying to deal with currently, is the sand which blows into the garden, mainly during the winter. It can amount to several wheelbarrow loads in a single storm. During the garden improvement I mentioned above I had raised beds constructed and I am currently going through the options on how to deal with the sand by (probably) covering the beds with something(?). I am presently thinking about constructing screened frames...something akin to screened doors, which I hope, the screen material will not only divert the sand but also give some protection to the plants from the wind. These frames would only be on the beds during the winter. Will it do it do the job? ... I don't know... only time will tell.   

I am sure some might say; "If it's that difficult, why bother?"  But when spring comes around and the plants are in bloom...it's wonderful!

JR
Seismologist, Photographer, Amateur Gardener. Currently dividing my time between the south of France, on the Mediterranean (0m), and the Rocky Mountains (2743m) of Colorado (U.S.).

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: New to MGS Forum
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:40:08 PM »
Welcom to the forum JR.

Maybe some photos might help to understand how is your garden situated,
Hopefully someone with similar conditions might help.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »
Welcome JR.

Seismologist eh? Nice to have another sphere of knowledge added to our eccletic know-how. The Med. is of course seismically active; we get 300 tremors a day here in Cyprus (most of them detectable only by seismometers/-graphs). Colorado, too, in its own way. I hope in neither place are you called on for garden advice in the event of an earthquake, but you never know.

Your beach-side garden seems to pose interesting challenges (I would guess more than just the sand ingress). Perhaps, in considering doors and suchlike as barriers/impedances to the sand-laden winds, you should ponder something partly perforated. Solid structures can need more anchoring and in some ways be less effective. They can also cause scouring by the wind - the opposite of the original problem. In the north of Scotland, my sister has used 'paraweb' as a windbreak to good effect; it is intended for that purpose. Beware: there are various products using that name; this is the one I refer to. It is sold as 'the world’s toughest lightweight fencing', and supposedly gives '58% shade and wind reduction'.
If you do use doors/similar, perhaps you could consider arranging them in ranks and angling them so the wind shoots up the side and where it comes back to ground level it encounters the next door, similarly arranged; and so on. That way, you may be able to create protected avenues at right angles to the prevailing wind. You would be creating a structure similar to a field of sand dunes, with plants in the swales. You might achieve the same thing by creating rows of boulders/'soil', which would look a lot nicer. But if your wind direction is variable, that's more of a problem.

Some plants cope with blown sand and inundation - marram grass being the obvious one. But there are many others, such as Pancratium maritimum (sea daffodil) and Eryngium maritimum (sea holly). In planting some of these, consideration should be given to the microclimatic/ecological zones in which they occur naturally. But in a broad sense, perhaps you could consider creating a shelter-belt, with the most salt-tolerant and inundation-tolerant plants on the seaward side, grading to more garden-worthy plants on the garden side. Get that right, and in time you might be able to do away with the doors.

Keep us posted on how things go!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »
Two other plants you may wish to try are Tamarix tetrandra and Griselinia littoralis.

On the sands at Espigeuette, Languedoc the authorities use wind-breaks made of split chestnut ( I think) .  This allows the wind to pass through and then deposit its sand on the leeward side.  I imagine you can use shelters made of most materials which allows the wind to pass through. I hope to be at Espiguette next week and will try to see what the local flora is. One is Santolina chamaecyparissus (I think).
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:02:33 AM »
Here in Cyprus people with fields close to the sea have in the past tried to use Myoporum tenuifolium (laetum?) as a windbreak and to reduce sand infringement. It is tolerant of saline soil and is fast growing. It may have been originally imported to serve just this purpose, however it also became popular for garden hedging inland. This was not such a good idea as it caused problems due to the amount of fruit fall in summer and the fact that it is more demanding of water than several other hedging plants better suited to the task.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)