Iris ensata

• 2 Replies

Daisy

Iris ensata
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
My white Iris ensata is in it's second year and is now filling it's planting basket.
Does anybody know the best time to split it?

Whoops! This goldfish always has to get in on the act, whenever I go near the pond.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Iris ensata
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »
Divide at the end of summer when flowering has stopped - say late September; or spring before it really gets into growth.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Iris ensata
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »
What do you plant your irises in, Daisy? I bought special cloth planters from the nursery where I bought the plants (Bromfield Aquatics) but I've only had them for 2 years so I don't know how they'll hold up. They certainly don't tip over like plastic pots. I'm wondering whether to sew my own when I start dividing up the plants!
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece