Rooting hormones

• 5 Replies

Alice

Rooting hormones
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
Can 3-indolebutyric acid and 1-naphthylacetic acid be used interchangeably to assist the rooting of cuttings?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Rooting hormones
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »
Yes, check rate of use.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alice

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 12:32:40 AM »
Thanks, David.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
Actually we should not refer to these chemicals as hormones.  Plants do not have hormones.  They are plant growth regulators.  Many are naturally occuring.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alice

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:37:57 PM »
We always used to refer to auxins, gibberellins, abscisic acid etc as plant hormones or phytohormones. Has that changed too?

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »
I think we should refer to auxins, gibberellins, abscisic acid etc. rather thah phytohormones etc. 
MGS member.