Amicia zygomeris

• 1 Replies

John

Amicia zygomeris
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
This shrub is from the mountains of Mexico and has distinct leaves and stipules. They are very ornamental which is fortunate in the UK as in many years it gets frosted before it flowers. It does sometimes flower well before the frosts come and they are a strong yellow which can mean siting it is a problem especially if you have it combined with the wrong colours because the leaves go so well with so many planting combinations. It's annual growths are up to about 2 meters. I have grown it now for about 20 years and after about it's 4th year decided it had got too big where it was and tried moving it which was totally successful. In effect in London I treat it as a herbaceous perennial cutting it down to the ground each season.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Amicia zygomeris
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 03:11:07 PM »
I would expect this rather spectacular tropical bean to need watering a couple of times a week during the Mediterranean summer; it can stand bright sun and plenty of heat.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society