Asclepias

• 3 Replies

Sandra

Asclepias
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »
I wonder if anyone is growing or has grown or propagated any cultivars of Asclepias and can tell me anything useful about them?
Sandra Panting
I garden in the Southern Peloponnese, Greece and will soon be creating a small garden in Northampton, England.  I'm co-head of the MGS Peloponnese group and a member of the RHS.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Asclepias
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:56:58 AM »
Sandra,

I'm pleased to see you mention this flower. I posted on it here, but received no comments at the time.
- http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=162.0

I was pleased with how it began, but it did attract some orange aphids, which led to:
this quote from: David Bracey on 12 October 2011, 19:23:51
Your yellow aphid is A neri.  The following extract was taken from a Languedoc branch report "Ten members replied that their most important insect pest was aphid or greenfly.  A.neri, the yellow oleander species is their major problem. This aphid can overwinter on Euphorbiaceae and Asclepiadaceae (milkweed) species, both local weeds."

Now, a year later, the plant is OK, but no bigger. It is one of several plants that are not flourishing due to proximity to Cupressus trees. And I still have not seen a butterfly on it :(
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:15:48 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
Mike, thanks for this. I came across two cultivars at a a friends garden in Essesx, UK, and was taken with the bright colours and the form, which made me think of oleanders. Interesting that the aphids that like the oleanders also like Asclepius! I took a couple of softwood cuttings but have since read that propagation is best by root cuttings. I'll just have to wait and see what happens...
Sandra Panting
I garden in the Southern Peloponnese, Greece and will soon be creating a small garden in Northampton, England.  I'm co-head of the MGS Peloponnese group and a member of the RHS.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:28:31 PM »
Hi, both,
I like the flowers too, they have a quiet, quirky charm to them, though I find the plant itself only does well with fairly regular watering. Regarding use by butterflies, it is a specific food and habitat plant of the Monarch butterfly and I don't know whether others regularly use it or not. So if you are in an area not visited by Monarchs, perhaps it would remain butterfly-free...? I will be watching ours more closely to see if any other species are using them.
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.