Exotic fruit trees

• 48 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Exotic fruit trees
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2021, 07:52:55 AM »
Lots of flowers on my Feijoa again this year so fingers crossed for some fruit - am treating it to the odd bucket of water - collected whilst waiting for the hot water to arrive when taking a shower etc - a bit of an effort at times but if rewarded with some fruits well worth it.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Guenther

• Email
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2021, 12:22:47 AM »
At our garden in Veli Lošinj (at the island of “Lošinj”, a Croatian island in the north of Adriatic Sea,, one day with some hours at 0°C), this year, at the beginning of November, I expanded the garden into an "orchard" with a few specialties that are frost-resistant to around -10 ° C: Brazilian Guavas (Feijoa), Persimmons, Red and Black Mulberries, Russian plum, Yellow Peach, Indian-Banana (Asimina, Pawpaw), Caper bush (Capparis).
There are also a few "test plants" that can only tolerate frost for a short time:Avocado, Black Sapote (“chocolate-pudding-fruit”), White Sapote(“vanilla-icecream-fruit”), Tree Papaya (Babaco), Che-fruit (Cudrania tricuspidata), Caramel Berry (Leycesteria formosa) and Pitahaya(Hylocereus undatus).
And blooming plants: Rock roses, Brugmansia, Scented-leaved pelargoniums, large-flowered Hibiscus moscheutus (white, pink,red, mauve), Hibiscus coccineus, Canna, Cortaderia selloana, Strelitzia, Caesalpinia gilliesii, Helichrysum gardnerii, numerous Aloe species, etc.
Let's see what survives the rainy winter and grows and what we bring over the hot and dry summer. With a special planting method, pollen donors, special fertilizers and a lot of hope and care, it might (in a few years) be a rich harvest. Meanwhile, there are only figs and cactus fruits for jam and a number of non-fruiting citrus bushes (with calcium deficient) and a miniature Žižula-tree (Jujuba).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 03:21:18 AM by Guenther »
Garden designer in pension, garden photographer. I have a garden (1200 square meter) at Wels, Austria and I passionately attend a garden on the island of Losinj, Croatia.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2021, 01:37:19 AM »
That's a pretty impressive list of fruit trees! I can't really say anything about those as I only have experience of lemon trees which are fine here in Rome. And two small Kafir lime trees which spent last winter in a small unheated plastic greenhouse and have been in direct sunlight all summer/autumn

I can say a bit about some of the other plants you list. I have grown
Hibiscus coccineus. It liked a lot of water and I grew it in a tub with Ruellia brittoniana It died back every winter but survived some nights below zero and came back in spring. Likewise,
Caesalpinia gilliesii - will survive temperatures below zero. I have one in a tub which I grew from seed.  It survived the "Beast from the East" a few years ago when temperatures were around zero in the day time and down to -7°C in the dark hours. Deciduous for me,
Cannas grow for me without any problems and they are to be found high up in the hills around where temperatures are below zero more frequently.

Hope you get the rewards you deserve.

I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Guenther

• Email
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2021, 03:29:10 AM »
I tried a special method for the fruit-shrubs, to help them in cold winter. I planted a densely grown Abelia shrub to the base. I hope it make an insulation against coldness. Perhaps?
Garden designer in pension, garden photographer. I have a garden (1200 square meter) at Wels, Austria and I passionately attend a garden on the island of Losinj, Croatia.