Exotic fruit trees

• 48 Replies

John J

Exotic fruit trees
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 12:37:41 PM »
Thanks, Pamela, you obviously posted your reply at the same time that I was composing and posting mine. Must be one of the quickest responses on record :)
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Exotic fruit trees
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »
The flowers are not only pretty, they are beautiful, and the petals are edible. A colourful addition to fruit salad.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

Exotic fruit trees
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
Thank you, Pamela and John, for the info on Feijoa fruit.
I will try to give the plants some extra water when I can.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

Re: Exotic fruit trees
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2016, 09:58:43 AM »
Gosh, nearly 2 years since anything was posted on here.
The following may not look very impressive but they are the first embryonic fruit to appear on our Walnut tree. It's been a long wait. :D

John J

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
Possibly due to the lack of sufficient water caused by the very dry winter we had our Mango has produced one solitary fruit this year.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »
Disappointing, John!
A friend in Argaka has two mangoes. Both produced a good crop of tasty fruit this year (as in previous years).
I have to say, though, that the trees don't look nearly as luxuriant as several others I know that seem to produce no fruit at all. Maybe lack of pollination causes lack of fruit, and that allows the trees to make such good vegetative growth?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2016, 02:03:49 PM »
We seemed to get the usual amount of flowers in the spring but for some reason they didn't set fruit. Whether this can be attributed to the unusual weather patterns we've experienced this year I don't know. Lack of pollinators, poor fruit set, inability of the tree to hold the fruit for some reason?

John J

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 11:11:20 AM »
Over the years we have done little or nothing with the fruit growing on our medlar tree. They need a period of cold to ripen and our property in Cyprus does not provide that naturally. Last year I decided that maybe it was time we tried sticking a few of them in the fridge for a week or several. Today I remembered to look at them and lo and behold they were soft and spongy to the touch. They proved to be extremely tasty although, unfortunately, we didn't have a silver spoon to eat them with and I don't like port, their traditional accompaniment.

John J

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2019, 08:59:14 AM »
Looking forward to the first crop from our young avocado.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2019, 06:49:07 AM »
Wow - well done John I hope they mature nicely for you.
Looking back on this thread I re read the posts about Feijoa - this year my bush is covered in flowers and I am hoping I might get a few fruits. Rainfall seems to be one important factor and we certainly had more than enough in May......but perhaps it is needed more when the fruits are/should be developing?
Anyway I am enjoying the flowers.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2020, 11:30:11 AM »
An even better looking crop this year, Carole. I'm looking forward to them ripening, can almost taste them already with some of our fresh olive oil and lemon.  :P

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2020, 08:31:57 AM »
Well done again John....and they look beautiful hanging in the tree too. Referring to my Feijoa, that did indeed reward me with a few lovely fruits last year, I am sad to say that this year not a single fruit developed.....oh well always next year hopefully.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2020, 10:11:53 AM »
Strangely enough ours did not fruit this year either. We put it down to the fact that a sudden hot spell struck just as many of our fruit trees were flowering and they were possibly burnt off before they were pollinated.

Charithea

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2020, 07:47:35 PM »
John has forgotten to mention the large supply of strawberry guavas we had. They would not keep in the fridge, could not eat them fast enough so I made them in to fruit pies. They were tasty but the seeds after being baked became hard.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2021, 06:24:23 AM »
This year has been another erratic one when it comes to fruit set, some trees outdoing themselves while others have been disappointing. For example our Eugenia uniflora has produced a single, solitary fruit.