How to tell Iris reticulata and I. histrioides apart

• 3 Replies

pamela

How to tell Iris reticulata and I. histrioides apart
« on: March 07, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »
My iris reticulata have been very successful this season.  They have been looking wonderful, planted under shrubs and trees. I would like to try some other miniature irises for next year.  Can anyone tell me the difference between I. reticulata and I. histrioides?  Are they indeed the same?  The I. reticulata seem to like my clay soil.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:05:19 PM by Alisdair »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Miriam

Re: Miniature irises ...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:03:29 PM »
They are two diffrent species that belong to the same group (subgenus) Hermodactyloides (The reticulata irises).

agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »
Usually the leaves of I. reticulata show well above ground by the time it flowers, whereas those of I. histrioides do no more than poke their tips up then. I. histrioides flowers are usually a clear blue (with a yellow central ridge), whereas I. reticulata is much more variable in colour, ranging from blue through violet and purple or even two-tone.
For another variation in this same section, click here to see Ori Fragman's pictures of Iris vartanii, which he is hoping to get into cultivation as a more "mediterranean" version of I. reticulata.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:43:36 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

pamela

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:22:57 PM »
Thanks for that info Alisdair.  I hope mine won't disappear next year! I am afraid certain bulbs dont tend to survive here from year to year.  Rhizomes seem to be fne.   I have had success with Tulbaghia alba which are naturalising well. I am not holding my breath for the Muscari armeniacum which I planted 2 years ago and again last year...we will see what happens. Iris germanica are naturalising well too and the I. reticulata seem to be OK!  We have beautiful naturalised violets (Viola oderata) too. We have such very poor rocky soil................
My biggest regret was my lack of knowledge about our soil when we bought our villa (2004)   in that we could have put tonnes of good soil on it before we started to plant.  But we knew nothing then!  No MGS to guide us!
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar