White orchid in Vaucluse ID'd as Platanthera chlorantha

• 5 Replies

SandraC

White orchid in Vaucluse ID'd as Platanthera chlorantha
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
Can anyone please identify this white orchid growing in a dry fairly shady spot in my Vaucluse garden.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:06:51 PM by Alisdair »

Alice

Re: Orchid identification....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
Possibly Platanthera bifolia. But a close-up of the flower would help.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

SandraC

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 07:59:33 PM »
Thanks, Alice - I have googled that and it does look very like - I was thinking along the lines of butterfly orchid myself. I think we have solved the mystery..!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:20:45 AM »
The flowers certainly look right for P. bifolia, or possibly chlorantha; it's very unusual to see a Platanthera with more than two basal leaves!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:34:38 PM »
Yes, I was confused by the basal leaves as well, Alisdair.
I couldn't decide between P. bifolia and P. chlorantha. The latter flowers earlier, according to M. Blamey/C. Grey-Wilson, so it could well be the one.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

SandraC

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »
Thanks both...I shall see if it turns up this year again, and if so when....last year was not good for orchids - maybe it was the late freezing weather...