Palms

• 42 Replies

John

Palms
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:57:04 PM »
Throughout the UK last winter many tender plants were damaged or even killed. In London palms other than Trachycarpus were also in this situation. Many Phoenix canariensis came through though with at least burnt leaves. At Kew they had planted two Jubaea chilensis outside the Temperate House where the huge and largest (and presumably oldest) palm under glass in the whole world exists which is also a Jubaea chilensis. Both of the palms outside were damaged but still look pretty good and hopefully will fully recover.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

Re: Palms
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »
Before the trip arranged by Heather to Catalonia I spent some time with Brian Constable looking at wild flowers which was wonderful. Here, inland from the Ebro delta many habitats have the dwarf palm, Chamaerops humilis which is surprisingly hardy. Here it is with the delta in the background. I would hope that this species would be resistant to the palm weevil which is devastating Phoenix palms throughout the Med. but I suspect it will be just as vulnerable because apparently in the absence of palms it will feed on Agave!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »
Among other authorities, the Cyprus Dept of Agriculture reports that the Chamaerops is resistant to the palm beetle (as Washingtonia robusta is also reckoned to be). They actually produce a gum which deters the insect, so may be better off than the agaves when the other palms do run out.
Incidentally, the two Phoenix theophrasti which we have growing in Greece from the seed you so kindly gave me, John, are still thriving and not yet victims - fronds so spiny that I wouldn't recommend that species generally for gardens, though!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:04:46 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »
This might be the case but when they run out of Phoenix they will want something else!
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »
"surprisingly hardy"...
...Indeed, John.
We have two here in Cyprus, and in researching the species before buying, I found pictures of it covered with snow in the UK. Google image search for 'chamaerops snow' will show several examples. I was also pleased to hear it is tolerant of a range of soil wetnesses. That's relevant to me because my plants are growing through gravel-on-polythene, so it is difficult to be sure how wet the soil is, especially in winter. So far (less than a year), they are doing fine.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:17:55 AM »
Unfortunately both Washingtonias and Chamaerops are reported to have been attacked by the red weevil in Italy. As well as Butia and P. dactylifera. Chamaerops is really more prone to Paisandisia argon, the south american moth - the synptoms of the attck appear similiar, and the result is slower but the same: lethal.
I spray. I spray A LOT, every sedond week. We are horrified by the spread and virulence of this modern day plague; phoenix died by the thousands. The landscape of Italy has changed,
On the other hand it seems that the reports about Agave really referred to another var. of weeevil, not the Ryncophorus ferrugineus.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 07:57:19 AM »
That is sad news, Alessandra - bears out John's fears. It would be interesting to know whether the attacks on the chamaerops and butia have been as severe/universal in places where they have occurred.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:10:01 AM »
So no good news there then. Spraying does seem to be the only long term answer. Here's two pictures of Phoenix canariensis dying and dead taken two years ago on the Pontine Marshes south of Rome.
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 08:20:41 AM »
What are you up to, John? That posted twice, too! (I've deleted the second one...)  ::)
Alisdair Aird

John

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:51 AM »
The first one said it hadn't posted so I posted it again!
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »
I guess if that happens the safest thing to do is look at the postings and see. I've used the Profile tab to set things so that I automatically return to the topic after I've clicked the Post button - if you do that, you can see whether anything's gone wrong with your post.
Alisdair Aird

John

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »
I have assumed something was posted only to find I have lost the text which may have taken a while to type out.
John

ezeiza

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 03:15:07 PM »
The palm moth is native here. As could be expected, you seldom (honest, ever) see a palm attacked. Thousands of adult palms were exported from Argentina and ilegally smuggled into Europe, some carrying this horrifying Trojan horse. This is a sound lesson for stupid American amateurs that are so brutally
against pest and disease control by the authorities, and this in a country where Sudden Oak Disease has done and is doing tremendous damage.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 08:46:44 PM »
Alevin you spray but what with?? How do you get into the crown'?  What sort of volumes are you using?  David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
Presumably in Argentina there is a predator for the moth?
John