Lycoris aurea

• 10 Replies

Trevor Australis

Lycoris aurea
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »
I'm trying to discover how to up-load low res images so I'm hoping my Irfam programme has done the trick.

Lycoris area is another of those plants that challenge me: my mother-in-law - no gardener at all really, tho' she loves flowers, grows it with apparent careless ease and regularly gets 20+ flowers. My bulbs, bought at the same time and from the same source, are much less enthusiastic.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Lycoris aurea
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »
Trevor, We find they seem to enjoy a rather dry summer baking, and never too much water - our best patch in Greece has no summer irrigation at all.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:33:04 PM »
I grow mine in a big pot to keep them warm over winter but they do get a long dry Summer rest. Just one of those challenges I guess. Have you grown Lycoris squamigera? Another challenge of mine along with Pancratium maritimum.

Jamus

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:38:54 PM »

That's a beautiful thing Trevor. I am not familiar with that one.
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »
Trevor, The only other that I know I've grown is the red-flowered Lycoris radiata. In Greece about 12 years ago I did plant a few bulbs from China that looked slightly different from that or L. aurea, and that have leaves more or less like radiata but again not quite the same. It has persisted there, but I've never seen it in flower yet. I don't know whether that's because it hasn't ever flowered, or because we simply haven't been out there at the right time!
It's certainly a family well worth trying, for the very striking shape (and colour) of the flowers, and the strong foliage. And despite its origins it does seem to suit mediterranean conditions well.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 11:20:14 PM »
It will soon be nerine season and I will post a few pics here to show some of the lovely Australian and NZ 'diamond dusted' hybrids that have been raised here in recent years. I also have a few from the breeding programme of the late Sir Peter Smithers (Switzerland) that were imported by the Austral Bulb Co.

Jamus, usually Lycoris aurea bulbs are on sale at the ABC Australian Gardeners Market which will be at the usual place, the ABC car park, on April 12.

David Feix

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »
Not much grown here in northern California, and comments here about need for summer baking and left dry all summer contradict American growers recommendations. As they are native to continental to subtropical climates in China and Japan, which generally get abundant summer rainfall, the complete dry baking seems contradictory. Jim Waddell has written up a treatise on culture and habitat that explains growing culture here in the USA, where they are garden favorites in distinctly non-Medit regions such as the southern USA into the Midwest zone 7 for spring foliage species. He advises that it prefers some moisture all summer with a short dry period before bloom, and baking heat isn't necessary for bloom. I've tried a few Lycoris species, but do much better with the South African Nerine bowdenii and sarniensis. Seen commonly along the Gulf Coast, Texas and Florida, more so than California.
David Feix Landscape Design
Berkeley, California, USA

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »
Interesting, David! Knowing where they come from I've always been surprised at how well they've done for me in our hot Greek garden.
Alisdair Aird

Trevor Australis

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 02:09:27 AM »
I agree, the natural conditions do seem to indicate no extended summer dry period. Maybe I should water mine more? My mother-in-law is an old lady who likes to water her pot garden almost every day, which could explain why Lycoris flower so well for her.

David Feix

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 02:40:40 AM »
Trevor, in your locality, it would seem prudent to follow her example, it is obviously working for her.
David Feix Landscape Design
Berkeley, California, USA

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »
I agree, the natural conditions do seem to indicate no extended summer dry period. Maybe I should water mine more? My mother-in-law is an old lady who likes to water her pot garden almost every day, which could explain why Lycoris flower so well for her.
Yet in our garden they are in a hot and exposed section of the rock garden which doesn't get artificial watering over the summer! Go figure!
This has been a good year for them but no sign of Lycoris incarnata or L. sprengeri...yet!
Lycoris elsiae and L. radiata have also bloomed. I have no luck with L. squamigera - known in the USA as "Hardy Amaryllis"!
 Here's our Lycoris aurea and L. elsiae this week,
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:07:24 AM by Alisdair »
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!