Scilla (including Prospero, Hyacinthoides etc)

• 24 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Scilla (including Prospero, Hyacinthoides etc)
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:43:05 AM »
We always think of scillas as "little blue jobs", but what about this chap, a stately plant a metre or so in height:
[attachthumb=1]
This is Scilla hyacinthoides, widespread around most of the Mediterranean, and happy with a hot dry summer baking. It needs no cosseting - we saw these growing in poor sandy ground among Calicotome villosa, the spiny broom, on the MGS trip to Israel in March this year, when Oron took us to the small Poleg Dunes nature reserve near Tel Aviv.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:10:53 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Scilla
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:26:36 PM »
Scilla hyacinthoides: Thanks for the photo. I had wondered what they looked like when I read about them in the MGS journal (in the Israel trip report).
They remind me of fireworks rockets going off - the main display being just behind the leading point.
If they are that drought tolerant, I guess they fill much the same niche as Urginea maritima and Asphodelus aestivus (except for Urginea being a rat poison).
I see Wikipedia indicates it "is in the process of domestication as a cut flower in Israel".
And the Pacific Bulb Society: "It needs a poor stony soil to flower well, otherwise it will develop an abnormal number of offsets missing the flowering. It has been proposed to be moved into a new genus with it as the sole species, Nectaroscilla (Nectaroscilla hyacinthoides.)"
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
Nectaroscilla hyacinthoides has currently been rejected as a synonym of S. hyacinthoides, Mike, so we don't have to get our heads around yet another new name, thank goodness!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Scilla messeniaca (white form)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 07:29:24 AM »
For pictures of a white form of Scilla messeniaca, click here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:15:49 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Prospero autumnale (syn. Scilla autumnalis) & Muscari parviflorum
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »
Just now, in a few places near the Akamas, at around 500m, there are some lovely patches of mauve studded with sky blue. They are carpets of Prospero autumnale (syn. Scilla autumnalis, autumn squill, mauve) & Muscari parviflorum (autumn grape hyacinth, blue). They seem to do best where very thin soil keeps down the competition, though one could argue that in such situations they are simply more obvious. Love 'em.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Prospero autumnale (syn. Scilla autumnalis)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 06:24:13 PM »
This little autumn scilla is probably the most abundant of all Mediterranean wild bulbs, millions of them in Greece alone, widespread elsewhere in Europe (it occurs even in the UK) and as Mike says forming lovely drifts of mauve. For another picture click here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:28:05 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird

JTh

• Email
Pure white Prospero autumnale
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »
When I was in Cyprus two years ago, I was kindly invited by Alisdair and Helena on a short excursion after the MGS metting, and in addtion to seeing Colchicum troodi, I also spotted several scillas (Prospero) that were pure white. I thought I had discovered something new and exciting, but Oron told me that it was just an albino form which occurs from time to time. It was beautiful, though, I got the impression that the flowers were slightly larger than the regular ones, but I did not measure them.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:21:23 PM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

Scilla lingulata
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
I know this was posted before but it isn't listed in the bulbs section. I have repotted a lot of my bulbs late this year including Scilla lingulata. As a result they are just flowering now but I thought I would mention the unusual flowering compared to other species. The top flower opens first then they open downwards. This also occurs in some orchids e.g. Orchis simia. I should also mention the scent which is very nice and strong.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:22:12 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Paul T.

• Email
Re: Scilla (including Prospero, Hyacinthoides etc)
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Mike,

The Prospero autumnale is not a species I've seen available here in Aus.  By the looks of it there are a large range of colours/shades in the wild?  It looks like a beauty, particularly when flowering in autumn when the other Scillas aren't.  ;D

Thanks for showing us.

Love the albino form as well, JTh. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
Yes, they are beautiful, but tiny.
I see that there are 33 synonyms for this plant (8 different genera), according to The Plant List (http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-285270). I have seen one single reference to another true albino form, from Malta (http://www.maltawildplants.com/HYCN/Prospero_autumnale.php, see images almost at the end of that website).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
I grow two albino forms which I collected on Crete when I had a license. They are quite fleeting but very attractive. No picture to hand!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
Paul T. - variability of colour - you've got me wondering now, especially now I've seen the albino (thanks Jorun).
Amongst the ones I remember seeing here, I had not been struck differing colour. And it is too late to look now for this season.
Meanwhile, here's another example
http://www.mikehardman.com/places/panthea/img4/prospero-autumnalis-in-flower-akamas.jpg
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:18:39 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike

John

Prospero aristidis?
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »
Scilla autumnalis has had a mention elsewhere and it is also now called Prospero autumnalis. This is a similar species from North Africa, Tunisia I believe. Prospero aristidis which I think is a bit chunkier than autumnalis.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:24:38 PM by Alisdair »
John

Paul T.

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »
Pretty little thing, isn't it.  Is it pink, or mauvey coloured?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 11:18:35 AM »
John

I think the scilla in your photo is Barnardia numidica   syn. Scilla numidica.
while Scilla aristidis, now Hyacinthoides aristidis is similar to Hyacinthoides lingulata only that it has wider leaves.
Both are native to N. Africa. [Tunisia]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:25:35 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.