Helix pomatia on my olive trees

• 2 Replies

JTh

• Email
Helix pomatia on my olive trees
« on: July 05, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »
This fellow has been sitting on one of my olive trees for at least a couple of days now, and I’m wondering if I should leave it there or place it somewhere else. A single specimen of the edible snail is too little for a meal, but I wonder if it may hurt the olive tree in any way?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Helix pomatia on my olive trees
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »
They like to roost on olive trees but don't cause problems to them - at least in Europe (in Australia and America other snail species enjoy bedding down on olive trees so much and in such large numbers that their sheer weight can break shoots!).
So let your solitary snail enjoy its rest in peace, Jorun!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Helix pomatia on my olive trees
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:43:56 PM »
Thanks, Alisdair, it doesn't look very threating. There are a few of them around, but luckily, I have never seen any other snails or slugs here, unlike in my garden in Norway, where they really become a problem.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.