Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2017, 10:37:05 AM »
This morning we awoke to a Blues day. Not, I hasten to add, a reflection of our mood but the sight that greeted us as we walked outside.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2017, 07:22:58 AM »
Lovely selection of photographs John. At the moment I just have a few Scillas coming into bloom but am cheered each morning by various Narcissus providing " sunshine" even on the greyest of days. A lovely time of year when each day promises something new.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
Thank you, Carole. We haven't had a quiz post for a while so how about getting back into the swing with an easy one? How many of the plants in my last post can you identify?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2017, 08:55:44 AM »
Felt I had to rise to the challenge John but am ashamed to say I haven't done too well.....
1 Vinca
2, 3, 4. ?
5 Salvia discolor ( now?)
6 Lavender stoechas
7 Rosemary
8?
9 Violet
Must get my little grey cells out of winter hibernation.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »
I'll give you the first one as Vinca major. The Salvia discolor has been flowering almost all winter. You skipped one between the salvia and the lavender, the small blue flower. Rosemary, yes and Viola odorata. I have to confess to cheating a bit as a couple of them are wildflowers.

John J

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »
Taking inspiration from Umbrian's mention of flowers that provide 'sunshine' I decided to take a sort of inventory of our current cheerful blooms. Although I have to admit to a bit of poetic license with the last one as it is stretching it a little to call it yellow.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »
Have just returned from my weekly visit to our local market where I saw plants for sale that were no 2 - needless to say the vendor had no idea what they were - imported by "looks" from Holland I would think. Anyway I had a sudden brain surge and wonder if it is a type of Clerodendrum? How hardy is it?

John J

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »
I assume you mean No 2 on the blue, Carole. It's an Australian native Hardenbergia violaceae, a fast growing, scrambling climber that is described as; moderately drought tolerant; frost tolerant 0 to -5 degrees C; sensitive to water logged soil; prefers full sun or partial shade. Hope this helps.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2017, 10:07:28 AM »
Thanks for the info re Hardenbergia John - might give it a try.
Hope some other ' Forumers' take uo the challenge for the yellow flowers. I struggled with some again but it definitely helped my winter dormant brain get into gardening mode again.

Hilary

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2017, 02:05:04 PM »
Yellow flower, morning walk
One of them is Brugmansia
Either people are still hibernating, or don't recognise any of the yellow flowers or know them all
Here is a Brugmansia seen growing in a small patio at the Alhambra, Granada.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »
You are certainly correct about the flower, Hilary, as for the rest of your comments, who knows?
Staying with the colour theme, today I went for white.

Hilary

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2017, 08:27:46 AM »
Crassula ovata
A very useful plant which surprisingly didn't come to any harm during the cold snap.
Photo taken Februry 2016
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2017, 08:33:35 AM »
Iris germanica
Photo taken one April in Mystra, Greece
MGS member

Joanna Savage

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2017, 01:07:09 PM »
Hello John here's my two bobs'worth , but I'll have to do it colour by colour , there is far too much to remember all together. So for the blues i think there is a Cerinthe and a Tassel Hyacinth, lampascioni which are delicious to eat. In fact I think it is Muscari

Joanna Savage

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »
For the yellows, might the first be Thevetia, Yellow oleander? Then an Alamanda, and perhaps a Tree Medicago and the last is a Cymbidium orchid. The various daisy types are thoroughly confusing.