Question for the moderators

• 7 Replies

John

Question for the moderators
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »
With these Guess what it is questions. When they come to the end and it is guessed do you want them to stay on permanently or should you delete them? I am beginning to find it slightly arduous checking them for replies and it can only get worse. I also have to remember which ones are finished so I don't have to open them again!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

ezeiza

Re: Question for the moderators
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »
The images are superb and intriguing, please do not delete them.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »
John, when you post a message you can click the box 'Notify me of replies' under 'Additional Options'. You'll get an e-mail each time the post receives a reply and you won't need to search. Also if you click on 'Show unread posts since last visit' under Welcome John
you'll see all the new postings at a glance.
Alisdair is away at the moment so the decision whether to delete has to await his return.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »
It would be a pity to remove them completely, but could they be moved to a separate thread called Archived or Solved?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:05:41 PM »
We will not remove them compleetly, as we can keep tones of information here!!
We already mooved for example  'Duranta'  after beeing identified to 'Shrubs' as probably there will be more postings in the future.
I supose we should do the same with the others too.
Thank you for the suggestions, it is very important for us to get your feedback.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
You're welcome.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:57:23 PM »
FWIW, I, too, would not like posts to be removed (apart from mistaken double-postings and that sort of thing).
As time goes by, the amount of experience and knowledge and opinion expressed in postings will grow and become ever more valuable as a research resource. Sometimes divergent opinion can be worthy in its own right - showing that the issue is not clear cut, perhaps worthy of more research.

As regards moving posts, this is tricky to do consistently and usefully. Potentially, any post 'ought' to be in multiple topics at once. And topics could be added (or revised in scope) as time goes by, meaning that already-moved posts could warrant being moved again. Etc.
Also, with multiple threads under one topic, they can get confused because the 'subject' lines don't always reflect the intended thread (you have to remember to change the 'subject' line while replying).
These sorts of complications are inevitable when trying to structure a collection of bits of information that are inherently multi-category.

I think it is important to realize that the structure (like this forum) provides a framework, within which postings may be made (input) and which gives the site a sense of organization. But when it comes to discovering information (output), although navigating the structure hierarchically can be useful, one should realize that the best way is often to use the search facilities. Doing a search means:
- you don't have to waste time and brainpower trying to decide or guess where something might have been posted
- if it exists, you will find it even if it has been posted in the wrong place
- statistics can show the most common searches, most common typos in searches, what things that were searched for returned no hits, for example (and those stats can help improve how well data repository works).

Concerning searching: site admins please note that the search box and button (under the 'Mediterranean Garden Society' box) is, in my opinion, counter-intuitive. It is in the same panel that has 'News: Welcome to the MGS forum!' on the left hand side, so I would expect its scope to be forum-wide. But its scope is actually limited to the current position in the topic-subtopic hierarchy. That is, if I happen to be in 'Perennials>Alstromeria' and then decide to search for 'Viola', it finds no hits. You have to remember to position yourself in a suitable part of the hierarchy before doing a search. (Yes - in many cases, it is useful to be able to search within your current part of the hierarchy, but in that case, the search box and button should be  on the same line or in the same panel as the text that shows where you are in the hierarchy.) I realize that is under the control of the SMF developers not the MGS forum admins. But that does not diminish the importance of understanding how the basic search facility works today. It is very easy to search for something, get no hits, and falsely conclude there are no relevant postings.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
We shall move all the solved questions, renaming them. After weighing things up very carefully, I think that on balance the great majority of the plant questions are more fun as puzzles than useful as information, so most of them we'll just rename as solved puzzles - so that newcomers to the forum can try them for themselves. (If we renamed them with the name of the plant, that would give the game away, so that people couldn't try it for themselves....) As the solved puzzles mostly end with a "proper" picture of the plant, we can also put a little cross-reference linking straight through to the proper picture in the relevant section (Bulbs or whatever), heading the cross-reference with the name of the plant.
We'll probably leave these in this section, but as the section expands we may start a new Solved puzzles section.
A handful, including some of the more quickly solved puzzles, will be better renamed with the name of the plant (or garden), and moved to the appropriate section.
There is a similar sort of situation with the solved identification pictures, which I think we'll eventually solve in a similar sort of way (I've noticed that Mike has been helpfully renaming his questions once they've been answered - thanks, Mike :)).
Thanks for all your ideas about what to do with this!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:19:14 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society