Ceratonia siliqua

• 20 Replies

JTh

• Email
Re: Ceratonia siliqua
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »
Thank you, Alisdair and John, I am now absolutely convinced that my photo was of a male flower.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »
V. useful photos Alisdair - thanks
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

david glen

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 09:41:51 PM »
I might be wrong, so I'll be shortly corrected. Wiki says that "most" trees are dioecious . So, usually the flower , male or female, is only one of either on the tree. I notice that some trees emit a very strong odour ,  and this appears to be the male flower (Wiki again) . Can we deduce that if it smells it's male, if not it's female ?
David Glen. MGS member

John

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 11:54:15 PM »
It looks as if with either sex flower the other sex organs are there but aborted. Particularly obvious with the second lot of female flowers where the anthers seem to be present but not developed.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »
Good point, David; the only carobs which smell strongly are males, when they are carrying pollen. (Also give me hay fever!)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »
... and John, that does seem to be the case. I had a look at a lot more flowers today and the males do seem to have aborted female parts, and vice versa.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society