early roses

• 8 Replies

Daisy

early roses
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:01:06 AM »
Alice showed some of her roses a short while ago, blooming in winter.
I have taken a few photos of mine during the winter.
It still gives me a feeling of delighted awe to have roses blooming during the winter.
I don't know if I will ever get used to it.
Anyway, here are a few of mine.

Colombian Climber in January. This rose has a very sweet scent, which is strong, no matter what the temperature is.

Lady Emma Hamilton in January. A rich fruity perfume which is always there.

Archduke Charles in January. No scent, but flowers in full flushes throughout the winter.

Blush Noisette in January. Not full flushes, but throws out the occasional spray all winter.

Archduc Joseph in February. This rose is against a neighbouring derelict building and faces north west. It gets very little sun at any time of year, yet still manages to bloom most of the time.

Teasing Georgia in February. This rose is sweetly scented. It seems to bloom more in winter as it matures. The first two years it didn't bloom at all during the winter only spring, summer and autumn. This winter, it has produced a few blooms throughout.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Trevor Australis

Re: early roses
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
 :) ;) :D :D Ah Yes those fantastic old Tea roses and Bourbons and Chinas. we are so blessed to grow and flower them. Lucky, lucky,lucky.  ;D
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:44:44 AM »
Bloomin' roses in the middle of winter is all part of gardening in a mediterranean climate.  it' s really like a temperate climate summer.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alice

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »
You've got us drooling again, Daisy!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

yvesans

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:41:21 PM »
Absolutely lovely pictures, I didn't think Roses would do so well in Cyprus either but they are just fantastic all year, and no rust, black spot or mildew where I am, I have roses in the house nearly all year.
Active gardener all year round in Cyprus, nature always wins!

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »
Daisy the blooms on all your roses are fantastic. But the quality of the leaves on Archduke Charles is breathtaking.

Surely that can't just be Donkeys and cardboard boxes.

What and when do you spray?  ;)

Roy
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

Daisy

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 07:57:48 AM »
Roy, Archduke Charles is always healthy. He looks like that year round.
I do get a few greenfly in spring or early summer on one or two of my roses, but the birds take care of them for me.
There is no blackspot here thank goodness. The only problem I have with the roses , is some powdery mildew on a few of them.
Most of them shrug it off quite quickly, except for Devoniensis.
Devoniensis gets it badly. It caused it to die back so much two years ago, that I thought I had lost it. It came back last year though.
 I had heard that if your water supply is alkaline, it helps to prevent powdery mildew if you water the rose overhead, drenching the leaves.
I tried that last year and although I wouldn't say it stopped it completely, it certainly seemed to help a great deal. Last year Devoniensis had only a touch of powdery mildew. It put on a good amount of new growth and I have high hopes for it this year.
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:09:09 AM »

Untitled by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Sombreuil has just started opening. He smells delicious ;D

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »
And looking absolutely sensational Daisy.  Thank you for your amazing photos for your beautiful roses.
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.