Lilium IDd by Richard Hyde as 'Acapulco'

• 6 Replies

Daisy

Lilium IDd by Richard Hyde as 'Acapulco'
« on: January 27, 2012, 09:50:26 AM »
This is such a shot in the dark.
I bought these lily bulbs last winter. Of course, the garden centre didn't know which ones they were. ::) ::) ::)
They are highly scented and about 4 feet (1.25) tall.
Any ideas?
Thanks Daisy :)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:05:49 AM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Lilium who?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »
hmmm - 'Stargazer'?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »
Thanks Mike, but it is not Stargazer. I also have Stargazer nearby.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »
Hi Daisy,

Probably 'Mona Lisa', usually less then 1m but it seems yours is growing in quite shady conditions so it might be taller.
Any way Alisdair is The expert for Lilies lets see what's his verdict.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Daisy

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »
You could be right Oron. It is a good contender.
I have been looking around the internet for it, and it could be Acapulco.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Lilium+Acapulco&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cVoqT_WcO8qYOvWthYwO&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=948&bih=440

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 06:54:19 PM »
Oron, You're too kind to me - I know far too little about lily hybrids, though I do grow a lot of the wild species.
So I sent Daisy's picture to the UK's expert on lily hybrids, Richard Hyde. This is what he thought:
The pedicel is far too wide for Monalisa, judging from the colour of the newly opened flower I would say Acapulco, this is a tall growing oriental hybrid.
You can see Richard's website, an absolute treasure-trove of lilies, by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »
Alisdair, I don't know whether to thank-you or curse you for putting that link in the thread. ::) ::) ::)
Those lilies are so yummy, but I don't have any more room!!!!! :'( :'( :'(
Thank-you for taking the trouble to refer the photo for verification.
Thanks also to Richard Hyde for his identification. :)