What is this No 60? Already SOLVED!

• 10 Replies

John J

What is this No 60? Already SOLVED!
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
OK! I haven't done one of these for a while so I thought I'd have some fun and, hopefully, set you a tough one. It's out of focus too, so that won't help. All I'll say for now is that I took the photo today so it's in flower now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:45:36 PM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

Re: What is this No 60?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »
Diospyros?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:13:45 PM »
Hoya?

John J

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »
Sorry, ladies, way off.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:59:10 PM »
Arbutus andrachne may have flowers now.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 05:42:10 AM »
Jorun, that's amazing! Arbutus andrachne certainly does have flowers now, but how did you get it from that terrible photo?

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
It wasn't that diffciult, I first tried to think what might be in bloom in Cyprus now, then combined it with your photo. I agree, it was rather blurry, but enough to see the similarity. And the reason why I thought of this tree, was that the first time I really saw it was in Cyprus in 2009. The strange trunks with the peeling bark, revealing the pistachio green colour underneath impressed me.

_DSC2609 Arbutus andrachne.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alice

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »
Yes, well done Jorun. After I saw your reply last night I was almost certain it was right.
I am glad you posted that photo of Arbutus andrachne. I was never quite sure what species we have in the garden, though I suspected there were A. unedo. Now I know, as they certainly don't have the peeling bark with the pistachio green colour underneath, it is more a cinnamon colour.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:26:28 AM by Alice »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
Well, if the bark is cinnamon coloured, then it could also be a hybrid, Arbutus x arachnoides, which is found where both grow together.

Alice

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 12:24:29 PM »
It does still leave Arbutus x andrachnoides. But I thought that since they were nursery-bought they were more likely to be one of the others. Perhaps not.
Well, we have eliminated one.

Alice

Re: What is this No 60? Already SOLVED!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »
Sorry for any confusion. My last post referred to the plants in my garden, not to the quiz.