Brugmansia

• 24 Replies

John J

Re: Brugmansia
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
Potatoes contain toxic compounds called glykoalkaloides such as solanine and chaconine. Solanine is also found in other members of the Solanaceae family including aubergines and tomatoes. They are generally concentrated in the leaves, stems and fruit. Exposure to light, physical damage and ageing can cause an increase in glykoalaloides in potato tubers, the highest concentrations being just under the skin. David, potatoes have the potential to be poisonous. Potato poisoning is rare but has been known to cause death.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »
Potatoes which have been exposed to sun turn green, the colour is caused by chlorophyll, but it indicates that there will also be increased amounts of solanine in the whole potato. It does not help to cut away the green parts, and solanine is not removed by boiling (but deep frying does). You have to eat quite a lot of green potatoes to be poisoned, though, it is said that there have been no fatalities in Europe the last 50 years.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »
I have calculated that I would need to eat 1.7kg of potato containing 1000mg/kg of solanine to kill me. Not sure how much aubergine, tomato etc I would need to have the same effect! JTH........... .how much do I weigh??
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »
I think we've gotten a little bit off the track with potato tubers. Most of the toxins are concentrated in the leaves and stems of the plants, just as they are with the original Brugmansia, so I wouldn't advise eating too much of the greenery from potatoes, tomatoes, etc. The nightshades are also members of the Solanaceae family.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Brugmansia Berkonigin
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »
For Daisy's glowing photo of the striking dark pink Brugmansia 'Berkonigin' click here.
An excellent information site is the website of Brugmansia Growers International, who are the international registration authority for both Brugmansia and Datura cultivars. Lots of useful information, identification photos, etc.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
Brugmansia
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »
I had always wanted a Brugmansia but had never seen any worthwhile specimens on offer in my area. This year I found one on our local market and snapped it up. It was quite small but healthy with about 6/7 flower buds. These duly came and went and then I repotted it into a larger terracotta pot. It grew and grew  and finally began to produce buds - over 50 by the end of August. In mid September the first flowers began to open and at one time over 40 were out at one time. The perfume is amazing in the evenings but unfortunately it is not warm enough to eat outside in the evenings and enjoy it.
Exactly which Brugmansia it is I do not know as the label merely said Datura.....the colour is a lovely soft pinky orange that looks wonderful above the pale terracotta pot.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »
Carol, I know what you mean about the scent of the Brugmansia. We have two. The white one B. suaveolens, know as Archangel Micheal's trumpet here, and a soft orange one. Don't know the name of the orange one,  as my sister brought it to me from her friend's garden. The white one suffers all summer, but comes alive as soon as the weather cools down. The orange one gets some shade and does better. In fact it is now full of flowers as they open around 6 o'clock as it gets dark here. It has such a lovely scent. My nephew who is visiting us from London and is not a gardener commented on the 'nice smell in the field'.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 09:17:26 AM »
"in the field"!!! I hope you brained him.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Charithea

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
Hi Fleur, no I haven't brained him. He is bigger than me! He has not inherited the family's love for gardening. He considers gardening a chore. He was put on community service about  6  months ago for driving misdemeanours . He had to cut down trees and do heavy gardening work in Brocket Hall. He says never again. Back to  Brugmansia I have acquired the pink variety this morning. I walked to the shop for fresh milk and on my way there I espied an orange B resplendent in flowers and adjacent to it a pink one. I took a potted plant from our nursery and went and paid Vasiliki a visit. I returned with 3 cuttings , already potted up and some other plants whose names I don't know.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 08:53:40 AM »
This is the Brugmansia in question, in our 'field'.