Can anybody identify this lily? ID'd by Oron as cultivar of Sparaxis bulbifera

• 5 Replies

JTh

• Email
We saw this small town garden in Aktounda, Greece, this spring (beginning of April), it was full of what looked like rain lilies to me, but there was no time to get a proper close up of the flowers. They were pale pink with a yellow center.

I wonder if anybody is able to tell me which species these lilies might be?

_DSC8756.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:15:38 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Can anybody identify this lily?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:31:31 PM »
Jorun
It is one of the cultivars of Sparaxis bulbifera
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

royscot

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:27:41 PM »
Not 'pillansii' given the colours mentioned? (sorry first post, not worked out how to do italics yet!)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:44:02 PM »
Thank you, Oron and royscot, that was certainly a surprise. The colours were much softer than I what I would have expected Sparaxis to look like.

royscot, it is very easy to italisize a word, mark the word(s) and click on the I-symbol above (second left in upper row of symbols).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 09:51:21 PM »
Not 'pillansii' given the colours mentioned? (sorry first post, not worked out how to do italics yet!)

Royscot,

S. pillanesii has totaly red petals with a yellow and black  pattern in the center, it is very similar to the well known S. 'tricolor'.
The one in the photo has a yellow throat with white petals on the upper side and deep pink/red on the back side.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:53:20 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

JTh

• Email
I would rather say the petals are more pale pink on the inside than white (plus yellow), and darker red on the outside. I  cropped one of the photos I took heavily, so it is not terrible sharp, but the colours are easier to see here.

_DSC8755 Sparaxis sp.jpg
by JorunT, on Flickr