Guess what this is 40 - now at last solved!

• 38 Replies

John

Re: Guess what this is 40
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »
No, sorry Joren, you are wrong.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Hilary

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 07:59:08 AM »
Can we have a clue please?
Hilary
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alice

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »
Campanula?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alice

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 07:10:03 PM »
Or Mandragora?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »
Allium?
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 08:25:16 PM »
Camassia?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 08:44:20 AM »
Ixiolirion?
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

pamela

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »
Chionodoxa luciliae
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alice

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
Any chance of a comment, John?

JTh

• Email
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 03:24:33 PM »
I wonder if there is something wrong with the notifications, lately I have not always received messages of new postings in threads I'm following. I know John was not notified about one of his previous 'Guess what'
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 02:00:21 PM »
Jorun, As far as I can tell the "notifications" set-up is all in order.
I asked Fred the technical administrator to look into it too. He says that some people's email provider may be rejecting / treating the notifications  as spam. This is a real problem with some providers especially Hotmail and other Microsoft-hosted emails; AOL is another. There is nothing Fred can do about this. If that is happening the notifications might not even be reaching people's spam boxes.
Even so, it would be a help if anyone who has had notifications go missing could let me know, ideally saying exactly what threads/postings were involved.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 11:29:08 PM »
Hi everyone. Again I haven't been receiving the notifications. But you are are wrong. And you want a clue so soon only on the second page! Not a great clue but it is a monocot.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alice

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 01:26:01 AM »
Triteleia?

Hilary

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 09:02:43 AM »
Well going on the Tee Hee of a few posts back and the Triteleia of this morning I am suggesting
Triteleia hendersonia

Can't find a photo of it to check if it is actually blue
Hilary
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 09:58:22 AM »
I can't guess what this is, but while we're waiting for an answer from John:
T. hendersonii is yellow, but there are blue ones such as T. grandiflora (which does look rather like it, so you may be right Alice!)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society