Sulphur smelling lemons

• 2 Replies

Kriticat

Sulphur smelling lemons
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:24:27 AM »
I have a happy healthy lemon tree that bears fruit almost all year, but I'm wondering if it is a strange variety because instead of that wonderful lemony scent they have a distinctive sulphuric odour, noticeable on cutting but quite overpowering if left
It doesn't seem to affect the taste, in fact they are pretty sweet for lemons. Has anyone else come across a tree like this?
20 years gardening on a handkerchief in London, now creating a much bigger plot in the south of Crete...much to learn

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Sulphur smelling lemons
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
Citral, the compound in their skin which gives lemons their sharp fragrance, doesn't contain sulphur. But apparently the juice of all citrus fruits (not just lemons, and above all grapefruits) tends naturally to contain traces of sulphides. Presumably that's what's giving your lemons this smell - and maybe you've got a particularly good nose for detecting hydrogen sulphide!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Kriticat

Re: Sulphur smelling lemons
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »
Hi Alisdair
Only just seen this reply, my notifications must have been turned off and it has been a busy spring.
I wish it was just my nose, but everyone else's lemons smell fantastic and so did mine for the first few years...
I was hoping it was just last year's crop, but after a fruiting lull I've just picked the first lemon of the new crop, and it too is pretty smelly.
It's not the skin, which is as lemony as any other, it's only after it has been cut.  It doesn't taste bad either, so I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it, it's not exactly ideal for a gin and tonic though!
20 years gardening on a handkerchief in London, now creating a much bigger plot in the south of Crete...much to learn