Westringia - incl. Coastal Rosemary (W. fruticosa)

• 4 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Westringia - incl. Coastal Rosemary (W. fruticosa)
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:45:30 AM »
Started this topic to keep Westringia info together.

Can I respond to the question about growing Australian plants? I know it was aimed at Mike but I also garden in Cyprus, although, I believe, in different conditions to Mike. He describes his as sloping and his soil as marl whilst my 'field' is flat and with reasonably fertile soil. Personally, I find Westringia fruticosa, Lagunaria patersonii and Eremophilla maculata extremely useful and needing virtually no summer water once established.
Grevilleas can sometimes be found here too. As I look out of my window right now my neighbour's G robusta dominates the front of their house.

John & Mike - Westringia fruticosa is a fabulous plant, wonderful for trimming, in fact I think superior to the Buxus.  There are a number of Westringia now available here some with a slight variegated leaf giving a silver overall appearance.  The Lagunaria patersonii unfortunately wouldn't thrive at my hills home however may be tempted to give it a try in Adelaide, the flower reminds me of the Crowea sp.  The Eremophila maculata is lovely.  There are many Eremophila, quite a range of colour and form, worth a try.

Lists of species:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westringia
- http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/search?q=westringia

Detailed info on W. fruticosa in the ANBG 'Growing Native Plants' web site
- http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp1/westringia-fruticosa.html
http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp1/westringia-fruticosa.html
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Johannes F

Re: Westringia - incl. Coastal Rosemary (W. fruticosa)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »
In our Garden on  the Eastcost of the Greek Peloponnese (300mabove sea) we have planted two Westringias and they grew beautifully besides a gravelpath, but suddenly after about 3 years they died. When the first one died we planted the second one on the other side of the path. we watered very little as we were very often not there and we had no irrigation. Does anyone know what might have caused the sudden death, as theyseemed to be happy during the 3 years?
gardens on the Eastcost of the Peloponnese and in Zurich Oberland, Switzerland; mgs member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
John J (from Cyprus) and I wondered whether perhaps they'd suffered from a sharp frost, as you are at quite an altitude on that East coast, which I guess must be exposed to hard weather blowing down from the North East.
It was great to see you and Karin at the MGS meeting on Mallorca last week!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 08:38:58 AM »
From my experience, Westringias are not that delicate. When you pulled up the dead plants, Johannes, did the roots show telltale signs of twisting round each other? Olivier Fillipi described this graphically in his lecture to the 2007 MGS Symposium when he produced a dead tree sapling pulled up from an Athens pavement! Since then whenver I remove a dead plant (quite often) I check for twirling of the roots and I find it I'm afraid, though only with bought in plants I should add. If the roots have started to circle in the pot then after planting out there is a danger that rather than venturing out into the surrounding soil to look for food and water, the roots will continue to twist and not be able to support the growing plant.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Johannes F

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »
I do not think, Alisdair that frost caused them to die as they were still alive in spring. Also, Fleur the roots were not particularly twisted when we pulled the dead plants out. maybe they had just too little water during July and August' The soil is poor were they grew but we had added perlite and compost.
gardens on the Eastcost of the Peloponnese and in Zurich Oberland, Switzerland; mgs member